Mechanism of action
Abaloparatide is a PTHrP(1-34) analog which acts as an agonist at the PTH1 receptor (PTH1R). This results in activation of the cAMP signaling pathway in target cells. In rats and monkeys, abaloparatide had an anabolic effect on bone, demonstrated by increases in BMD and bone mineral content (BMC) that correlated with increases in bone strength at vertebral and/or nonvertebral sites
- Injection: 3120 mcg/1.56 ml (2000 mcg/ml) in a single-patient-use prefilled Pen.
- The prefilled pen delivers 30 daily doses of 80 mcg abaloparatide in 40 Mcl of sterile, clear, colorless solution.
warnings and precautions
- Orthostatic hypotension: instruct patients to sit or lie down if symptoms develop after dose administration. (5.2)
- Hypercalcemia: avoid use in patients with pre-existing hypercalcemia and those known to have an underlying hypercalcemic disorder, such as primary hyperparathyroidism.
- Hypercalciuria and urolithiasis: monitor urine calcium if preexisting hypercalciuria or active urolithiasis are suspected.
Daily administration of TYMLOS to postmenopausal women with osteoporosis in clinical studies increased the bone formation marker serum procollagen type I N-propeptide (PINP). The increase in PINP levels peaked at Month 1 at 93% above baseline then decreased slowly over time. The increase in PINP was maintained above baseline throughout the treatment duration. At Month 18, PINP concentrations were approximately 45% above baseline.
Abaloparatide-SC is an FDA approved prescription drug manufactured by Radius Health, Inc. (Template:NASDAQ link), a biomedical company based in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Frequently asked questions
- Can you rebuild bone density?
Yes, certain medications such as abaloparatide have been shown to improve bone mineral density.
- Where do you inject Tymlos?
Tymlos is injected in any subcutaneous(under the skin) area such as abdomen, or thighs using a pen injector. See the full step by step instructions on how to inject.
- What injection is given for osteoporosis?
Tymlos, Reclast are some of the injections approved for treatment of osteoporosis and osteopenia.
Other questions - help answer these
- What is osteoporosis?
- What is an antiresorptive?
- Is Tymlos a hormone?
- What is a spinal fracture?
- What happens after treatment?
- What is an osteoporotic fracture?
- How many doses are in Tymlos pen?
- Does walking increase bone density?
- Does TYMLOS require refrigeration?
- I missed a dose — what should I do?
- What do I take after I finish TYMLOS?
- How quickly can you build bone density?
- Can you increase bone density after 60?
- What causes postmenopausal osteoporosis?
- What are some common osteoporosis symptoms?
- What is the fastest way to increase bone density?
- Do I still need to take calcium and vitamin D?
- What roles do diet and exercise play in osteoporosis?
- What type of doctors treat postmenopausal osteoporosis?
- Do I need to stop taking TYMLOS if I go to the dentist?
Cost and Coupons - Abaloparatide
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Abaloparatide
- Find the lowest cost of Abaloparatide
- Search for Coupons for Abaloparatide
Reviews for Abaloparatide
Learn more about Abaloparatide
Latest research (Pubmed)