Abington Hospital–Jefferson Health
|Abington Hospital-Jefferson Health|
|Location||Abington, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Coordinates||Lua error: callParserFunction: function "#coordinates" was not found.|
|Emergency department||Level II trauma center|
|Helipad||FAA LID: PN03|
|Website||Abington Hospital-Jefferson Health|
|Lists||Hospitals in Pennsylvania|
Abington Hospital-Jefferson Health, formerly Abington Memorial Hospital (AMH), is the flagship hospital of Abington-Jefferson Health (part of Jefferson Health), located in Abington Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania in the northern suburbs of Philadelphia.
The hospital has 665 beds and over 5,501 employees, including more than 1,100 physicians, and is one of the largest employers in Montgomery County. It has the Pennock Emergency Trauma Center, an emergency department with the only Level II trauma center in Montgomery County. Other services offered at the hospital include The Heart and Vascular Institute, The Rosenfield Cancer Center, Neurosciences Institute, Orthopaedic and Spine Institute, Diamond Stroke Center, Muller Institute for Senior Health, and the Institute for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Abington Hospital-Jefferson Health is a non-profit, regional referral center and teaching hospital with five residency programs and operates the Dixon School of Nursing.
According to legend, George W. Elkins, a landowner in Abington Township, often took people injured in area car accidents to Philadelphia. When someone died of their injuries on their way, it prompted him to get together with fifty people to raise funds to establish a hospital in Abington. The hospital was dedicated in 1913 as a memorial to Elkins' first wife Stella McIntire. Abington Memorial Hospital opened on May 15, 1914.
In October 2007, Abington Memorial Hospital purchased Warminster Hospital from Solis Healthcare, who had acquired it from Tenet Healthcare two months prior. Following this acquisition, the emergency department and inpatient services at Warminster Hospital were closed and the facility was converted into an outpatient facility called Abington Health Center-Warminster. In October 2008, Abington Memorial Hospital purchased Central Montgomery Medical Center, formerly North Penn Hospital, in Lansdale from Universal Health Services. This hospital was renamed to Lansdale Hospital after its acquisition by Abington Memorial Hospital.
In October 2014, Abington Health and Jefferson Health, the latter which owns Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, announced an intention to merge. An agreement was reached in January 2015 and the merger was completed on May 4, 2015, resulting in Abington-Jefferson Health.
In May of 2019 The nurses on 3 Toll were named the best nurses in the hospital in a poll of 3 Toll nurses, beating out other excellent units such as 2 Lenfest and 1 Widener and 3 Lenfest and the ETC. The voting was protested by the nurses of 6 Toll but the protest never took flight.
Abington Hospital–Jefferson Health is located along Pennsylvania Route 611 (Old York Road) in Abington Township. Abington–Jefferson Health also owns Abington–Lansdale Hospital in Lansdale, the 86,000-square-foot outpatient center Asplundh Cancer Pavilion in Willow Grove, urgent care centers in Flourtown and Willow Grove; Abington Health Center–Blue Bell in Blue Bell, Abington Health Center–Elkins Park in Elkins Park, Abington Health Center–Willow Grove in Willow Grove, Abington Health Center–Warminster in Warminster, and Abington Health Center–Lower Gwynedd in Lower Gwynedd Township, Abington Health Center–Montgomeryville in North Wales.
Abington–Lansdale Hospital has 140 beds and over 700 employees, including over 300 physicians. Services offered at the hospital include an emergency department, Orthopedic and Spine Institute, Pain Center, Sleep Center, and Wound Care Center.
The Annual June Fete Village Fair and Horse & Pony Show is a fundraising event run by The Women's Board which consists of 50 active members and is supported by 12 auxiliaries with 630 members.