From WikiMD
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This page contains changes which are not marked for translation.

Other languages:

Editor-In-Chief: Prab R. Tumpati M.D.. Founder, WikiMD and W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep and MedSpa Centers.

Dr. Tumpati is board certified physician practicing sleep medicine, obesity medicine, aesthetic medicine and internal medicine. Dr. Tumpati’s passion is prevention rather than cure. As a physician with fellowship training in Obesity Medicine, Dr. Tumpati has a unique approach to wellness, weight loss, aesthetics with a focus on prevention rather than cure. Dr. Tumpati believes in educating the public on the true science and art of medicine, nutrition, wellness and beauty.

WikiMD Resources for Achondroplasia


Most recent articles on Achondroplasia

Most cited articles on Achondroplasia

Review articles on Achondroplasia

Articles on Achondroplasia in N Eng J Med, Lancet, BMJ


Powerpoint slides on Achondroplasia

Images of Achondroplasia

Photos of Achondroplasia

Podcasts & MP3s on Achondroplasia

Videos on Achondroplasia

Evidence Based Medicine

Cochrane Collaboration on Achondroplasia

Bandolier on Achondroplasia

TRIP on Achondroplasia

Clinical Trials

Ongoing Trials on Achondroplasia at Clinical

Trial results on Achondroplasia

Clinical Trials on Achondroplasia at Google

Guidelines / Policies / Govt

US National Guidelines Clearinghouse on Achondroplasia

NICE Guidance on Achondroplasia


FDA on Achondroplasia

CDC on Achondroplasia


Books on Achondroplasia


Achondroplasia in the news

Be alerted to news on Achondroplasia

News trends on Achondroplasia


Blogs on Achondroplasia


Definitions of Achondroplasia

Patient Resources / Community

Patient resources on Achondroplasia

Discussion groups on Achondroplasia

Patient Handouts on Achondroplasia

Directions to Hospitals Treating Achondroplasia

Risk calculators and risk factors for Achondroplasia

Healthcare Provider Resources

Symptoms of Achondroplasia

Causes & Risk Factors for Achondroplasia

Diagnostic studies for Achondroplasia

Treatment of Achondroplasia

Continuing Medical Education (CME)

CME Programs on Achondroplasia


Achondroplasia en Espanol

Achondroplasia en Francais


Achondroplasia in the Marketplace

Patents on Achondroplasia

Experimental / Informatics

List of terms related to Achondroplasia

Achondroplasia is a type of genetic disorder that is a common cause of dwarfism. People with this condition have short stature, usually reaching a full adult height of around 4'0" (1.2 metres).


It occurs at a frequency of about 1 in 20,000 to 1 in 40,000 births.

Clinical features

Clinical features of the disease:


The disorder is a result of an autosomal dominant mutation in the fibroblast growth factor receptor gene 3 (Template:Gene), which causes an abnormality of cartilage formation. FGFR3 normally has a negative regulatory effect on bone growth. In achondroplasia, the mutated form of the receptor is constitutively active and this leads to severely shortened bones.

People with achondroplasia have one normal copy of the fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 gene and one mutant copy. Two copies of the mutant gene are invariably fatal before or shortly after birth. Only one copy of the gene needs to be present for the disorder to occur. Thus, a person with achondroplasia has a 50% chance of passing on the gene to their offspring, meaning that 1 in 2 of their children will have achondroplasia. Since two copies are fatal, if two people with achondroplasia have a child, there's a 25% chance of it dying shortly after birth, a 50% chance the child will have achondroplasia, and a 25% chance the child will have a normal phenotype. However, in 3 out of 4 cases, people with achondroplasia are born to parents who don't have the condition. This is the result of a new mutation.

New gene mutations are associated with increasing paternal age (over 35 years). Studies have demonstrated that new gene mutations are exclusively inherited from the father and occur during spermatogenesis (as opposed to resulting from a gonadal mosaicism).

For the genetic details: More than 99% of achondroplasia is caused by two different mutations in the fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 (FGFR3). In about 98% of cases, the mutation is a Gly380Arg substitution, resulting from a G to A point mutation at nucleotide 1138 of the FGFR3 gene [Bellus et al 1995, Shiang et al 1994, Rousseau et al 1996]. About 1% of cases are caused by a G to C point mutation at nucleotide 1138.

There are two other syndromes with a genetic basis similar to achondroplasia: hypochondroplasia and thanatophoric dysplasia. Both of these disorders are also caused by a genetic mutation in the FGFR3 gene.


Achondroplasia can be detected before birth by the use of prenatal ultrasound. A DNA test can be performed before birth to detect homozygosity, where two copies of the mutant gene are inherited, a condition which is lethal and leads to stillbirths.

Radiologic findings

A skeletal survey is useful to confirm the diagnosis of achondroplasia. Skull films demonstrate a large skull with a narrow foramen magnum, and relatively small skull base. The vertabral bodies are short and cuboidal, and there is congenitally narrowed spinal canal. The iliac wings are small and squared, with a narrow sciatic notch. The tubular bones are short and thick with metaphyseal cupping and flaring and irregular growth plates. Fibular overgrowth is present. The hand is broad with short metacarpals and phalanges, and a trident configuration. The ribs are short with cupped anterior ends. If the radiographic features are not classic, a search for a different diagnosis should be entertained.

The diagnosis can be made on by fetal ultrasound by progressive discordance between the femur length and biparietal diameter by age. The trident hand configuration can be seen if the fingers are fully extended.


Growth hormone (GH) therapy has been proposed as a possible treatment for the short stature of achondroplasia. However, the people who participated in the studies on the subject have not yet reached adult size, so this type of therapy has unknown results.

Early experience with surgical limb lengthening procedures resulted in a high incidence of complications, but recent experiences have improved results considerably.

See also

External links


  • Azouz, E. M., Teebi, A. S., Chen, M.-F., Lemyre, E., and P. Glanc. "Achondroplasia, Hypochondroplasia, and Thanatophoric Dysplasia: Review and Update [Bone Dysplasia Series]," Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 50(3): 185. June 1999. PMID 99334125
  • Mueller, Robert F and Ian D. Young. Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics, 11th ed. (2001). ISBN 0-443-07125-X
  • Deng, C., Wynshaw-Boris, A., Zhou, F., Kuo, A., Leder, P. (1996) Fibroblast Growth Factor Receptor 3 Is a Negative Regulator of Bone Growth, Cell, 84, 911-921
  • Webster, M.K., Donoghue, D.J. (1996) Constitutive activation of fibroblast growth factor receptor 3 by the transmembrane domain point mutation found in achondroplasia, The EMBO Journal, 15(3), 520-527

Ad. Tired of being overweight? W8MD's insurance weight loss* program can HELP | Advertise on WikiMD

Other languages:

Disclaimer: The entire contents of WIKIMD.ORG are for informational purposes only and do not render medical advice or professional services. If you have a medical emergency, you should CALL 911 immediately! Given the nature of the wiki, the information provided may not be accurate and or incorrect. Use the information on this wiki at your own risk! See full Disclaimer. * Individual results may vary.