Amoxicillin is one of the penicillin related antibiotics marketed as Amoxil
- 1 Information about Amoxicillin
- 2 Liver safety of Amoxicillin
- 3 Mechanism of action of Amoxicillin
- 4 Clinical use of Amoxicillin
- 5 Dosage and administration for Amoxicillin
- 6 Penicillin antibiotics
- 7 Cost and Coupons - Amoxicillin
- 8 Reviews for Amoxicillin
- 9 Articles on Amoxicillin
- 10 Learn more about Amoxicillin
- 11 Help WikiMD
Information about Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is considered a third generation or aminopenicillin and is one of the most commonly prescribed antibiotics.
Liver safety of Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin and other aminopenicillins have been linked with idiosyncratic liver injury, but only rarely and in isolated case reports.
Mechanism of action of Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin (a mox' i sil' in) is an orally available aminopenicillin that has been available in the United States since 1980, for which currently more than 50 million prescriptions are filled yearly.
Clinical use of Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is used to treat mild to moderate infections caused by susceptible agents, such as (but not limited to) Escherichia coli, Hemophilis influenzae, Listeria monocytogenesis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Proteus mirabilis, Salmonella, Shigella, Staphylococcus aureus (non-penicillinase producing), Staphylococcus aureus, and Streptococcus pneumoniae.
Dosage and administration for Amoxicillin
Amoxicillin is available in multiple generic formulations as tablets or capsules of 250, 500 and 875 mg and is usually given in doses of 250 to 850 mg every 8 hours for 7 to 14 days. Pediatric formulations in liquid suspension and chewable tablets are also available.
- penicillins first generation (natural penicillins)
- penicillins second generation (penicillinase-resistant penicillins)
- penicillins third generation (aminopenicillins)
- see also amoxicillin-clavulanate
- penicillins fourth generation (extended-spectrum penicillins)
Cost and Coupons - Amoxicillin
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Amoxicillin
- Find the lowest cost of Amoxicillin
- Search for Coupons for Amoxicillin
Reviews for Amoxicillin
Articles on Amoxicillin
Learn more about Amoxicillin
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Drugs.|