Convalescence is the gradual recovery of health and strength after illness or injury. It refers to the later stage of an infectious disease or illness when the patient recovers and returns to previous health, but may continue to be a source of infection to others even if feeling better. In this sense, "recovery" can be considered a synonymous term. This also sometimes includes patient care after a major surgery, under which they are required to visit the doctor for regular check-ups.
Convalescent care facilities are sometimes recognized by the acronym CCF.
- Rehabilitation, therapy to control a medical condition such as an addiction
- Recuperation (recovery), a period of physical or mental recovery
- Recuperation (sociology), a sociological concept
- Relapse, reappearance of symptoms
- Remission, absence of symptoms in chronic diseases
- The dictionary definition of convalescence at Wiktionary
|This health-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|