- 1 Information about Delafloxacin
- 2 Liver safety of Delafloxacin
- 3 Mechanism of action of Delafloxacin
- 4 FDA approval information for Delafloxacin
- 5 Dosage and administration for Delafloxacin
- 6 Side effects of Delafloxacin
- 7 List of flouroquinolones
- 8 Cost and Coupons - Delafloxacin
- 9 Reviews for Delafloxacin
- 10 Articles on Delafloxacin
- 11 Learn more about Delafloxacin
- 12 Help WikiMD
Information about Delafloxacin
Delafloxacin is a fourth generation fluoroquinolone with expanded activity against gram-positive bacteria as well as atypical pathogens.
Liver safety of Delafloxacin
Delafloxacin has been linked to mild ALT elevations during therapy, but has yet to be linked to instances of idiosyncratic acute liver injury with symptoms and jaundice as have been described with other fluoroquinolones.
Mechanism of action of Delafloxacin
Delafloxacin (del" a flox' a sin) is a fourth generation fluoroquinolone with expanded activity against gram-positive bacteria including multidrug resistant strains of Streptococcus pneumoniae. Like other fluoroquinolones, delafloxacin is active against a wide range of aerobic gram-positive and gram-negative organisms. The quinolones are believed to act by inhibition of type II DNA topoisomerases (gyrases) that are required for synthesis of bacterial mRNAs (transcription) and DNA replication.
FDA approval information for Delafloxacin
Delafloxacin was approved for use in the United States in 2018 and is available under the commercial name Baxdela. Current indications are limited to skin and skin structure infections due to sensitive organisms.
Dosage and administration for Delafloxacin
Delafloxacin is available in both oral and parenteral formulations as 450 mg tablets and as 300 mg of a lyophilized powder in a single dose vial for reconstitution. The recommended regimen is an oral dose of 450 mg every 12 hours or by intravenous infusion every 12 hours for 5 to 14 days.
Side effects of Delafloxacin
- Common side effects include gastrointestinal upset, nausea, diarrhea, headache, skin rash and allergic reactions.
- Less common, but more severe side effects of delafloxacin that are shared by other fluoroquinolones include seizures, hallucinations, peripheral neuropathy, tendon rupture, angioedema, photosensitivity and Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea.
List of flouroquinolones
Cost and Coupons - Delafloxacin
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Delafloxacin
- Find the lowest cost of Delafloxacin
- Search for Coupons for Delafloxacin
Reviews for Delafloxacin
Articles on Delafloxacin
Learn more about Delafloxacin
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.