Dictionary of family medicine J
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- j noun the 10th letter of the Roman alphabet; a unit of electrical energy equal to the work done when a current of one ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second
- james noun a river that rises in North Dakota and flows southward across South Dakota to the Missouri; a river in Virginia that flows east into Chesapeake Bay at Hampton Roads; (New Testament) disciple of Jesus; brother of John; author of the Epistle of James in the New Testament; writer who was born in the United States but lived in England (1843 1916); United States pragmatic philosopher and psychologist (1842 1910); United States outlaw who fought as a Confederate soldier and later led a band of outlaws that robbed trains and banks in the West until he was murdered by a member of his own gang (1847 1882); the first Stuart to be king of England and Ireland from 1603 to 1625 and king of Scotland from 1567 to 1625; he was the son of Mary Queen of Scots and he succeeded Elizabeth I; he alienated the British Parliament by claiming the divine right of kings (1566 1625); the last Stuart to be king of England and Ireland and Scotland; overthrown in 1688 (1633 1701); a Stuart king of Scotland who married a daughter of Henry VII; when England and France went to war in 1513 he invaded England and died in defeat at Flodden (1473 1513); a New Testament book attributed to Saint James the Apostle
- japan noun lacquer with a durable glossy black finish, originally from the orient; lacquerware decorated and varnished in the Japanese manner with a glossy durable black lacquer; a string of more than 3,000 islands east of Asia extending 1,300 miles between the Sea of Japan and the western Pacific Ocean; a constitutional monarchy occupying the Japanese Archipelago; a world leader in electronics and automobile manufacture and ship building; verb coat with a lacquer, as done in Japan
- japan epa lipid intervention study.
- japanese adj. of or relating to or characteristic of Japan or its people or their culture or language; noun the language (usually considered to be Altaic) spoken by the Japanese; a native or inhabitant of Japan
- japanese encephalitis.
- jaundice noun yellowing of the skin and the whites of the eyes caused by an accumulation of bile pigment (bilirubin) in the blood; can be a symptom of gallstones or liver infection or anemia; a rough and bitter manner; verb affect with, or as if with, jaundice; distort adversely
- jaundice with.
- jaw noun holding device consisting of one or both of the opposing parts of a tool that close to hold an object; the part of the skull of a vertebrate that frames the mouth and holds the teeth; the bones of the skull that frame the mouth and serve to open it; the bones that hold the teeth; verb censure severely or angrily; talk incessantly and tiresomely; talk socially without exchanging too much information; chew (food)
- jejunitis noun inflammation of the jejunum of the small intestine
- jenner noun English physician who pioneered vaccination; Jenner inoculated people with small amounts of cowpox to prevent them from getting smallpox (1749 1823)
- jerk noun an abrupt spasmodic movement; raising a weight from shoulder height to above the head by straightening the arms; a dull stupid fatuous person; (mechanics) the rate of change of acceleration; a sudden abrupt pull; meat (especially beef) cut in strips and dried in the sun; verb throw or toss with a quick motion; move with abrupt, seemingly uncontrolled motions; make an uncontrolled, short, jerky motion; pull, or move with a sudden movement; jump vertically, with legs stiff and back arched
- jiroveci pneumonia hiv.
- jitteriness noun the anxious feeling you have when you have the jitters
- jnc vii.
- jnc vii seventh report of the joint national committee on.
- john noun the last of the four Gospels in the New Testament; (New Testament) disciple of Jesus; traditionally said to be the author of the 4th Gospel and three epistles and the book of Revelation; youngest son of Henry II; King of England from 1199 to 1216; succeeded to the throne on the death of his brother Richard I; lost his French possessions; in 1215 John was compelled by the barons to sign the Magna Carta (1167 1216); a room or building equipped with one or more toilets; a prostitute's customer
- johns noun United States artist and proponent of pop art (born in 1930)
- johnson noun 17th President of the United States; was elected vice president and succeeded Lincoln when Lincoln was assassinated; was impeached but acquitted by one vote (1808 1875); 36th President of the United States; was elected vice president and succeeded Kennedy when Kennedy was assassinated (1908 1973); English writer and lexicographer (1709 1784)
- joint adj. involving both houses of a legislature; united or combined; affecting or involving two or more; noun marijuana leaves rolled into a cigarette for smoking; junction by which parts or objects are joined together; a disreputable place of entertainment; (anatomy) the point of connection between two bones or elements of a skeleton (especially if it allows motion); a piece of meat roasted or for roasting and of a size for slicing into more than one portion; the shape or manner in which things come together and a connection is made; verb separate (meat) at the joint; fasten with a joint; provide with a joint; fit as if by joints
- joint disease deformities in rheumatoid arthritis.
- jones noun English phonetician (1881 1967); one of the first great English architects and a theater designer (1573 1652); American naval commander in the American Revolution (1747 1792); United States golfer (1902 1971); United States railroad engineer who died trying to stop his train from crashing into another train; a friend wrote a famous ballad describing the incident (1864 1900); United States labor leader (born in Ireland) who helped to found the Industrial Workers of the World (1830 1930)
- jordan noun an Arab kingdom in southwestern Asia on the Red Sea; a river in Palestine that empties into the Dead Sea; John the Baptist baptized Jesus in the Jordan
- journal noun the part of the axle contained by a bearing; a record book as a physical object; a periodical dedicated to a particular subject; a daily written record of (usually personal) experiences and observations; a ledger in which transactions have been recorded as they occurred
- joy noun something or someone that provides pleasure; a source of happiness; the emotion of great happiness; verb make glad or happy; feel happiness or joy
- jr noun a son who has the same first name as his father
- jugular adj. relating to or located in the region of the neck or throat; noun a vital part that is vulnerable to attack; veins in the neck that return blood from the head
- junction noun an act of joining or adjoining things; the place where two or more things come together; something that joins or connects; the state of being joined together; the shape or manner in which things come together and a connection is made
- justice noun the administration of law; the act of determining rights and assigning rewards or punishments; the quality of being just or fair; the United States federal department responsible for enforcing federal laws (including the enforcement of all civil rights legislation); created in 1870; a public official authorized to decide questions brought before a court of justice
- juvenile adj. of or relating to or characteristic of or appropriate for children or young people; displaying or suggesting a lack of maturity; noun a youthful person
Glossaries, dictionaries and lists in WikiMD
Lists & Glossaries