Dictionary of family medicine K
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- k noun street names for ketamine; the 11th letter of the Roman alphabet; a unit of information equal to one thousand (1024) bytes; the basic unit of thermodynamic temperature adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites; a light soft silver white metallic element of the alkali metal group; oxidizes rapidly in air and reacts violently with water; is abundant in nature in combined forms occurring in sea water and in carnallite and kainite and sylvite
- ka noun unknown god; an epithet of Prajapati and Brahma
- kaposi sarcoma thallium and gallium scanning.
- kava noun an alcoholic drink made from the aromatic roots of the kava shrub
- kb noun a unit of information equal to one thousand (1024) bytes
- kbg keishi bukuryo gan.
- keeping noun conformity or harmony; the act of retaining something; the responsibility of a guardian or keeper
- keishi bukuryo gan.
- keloid noun raised pinkish scar tissue at the site of an injury; results from excessive tissue repair
- kennedy noun a large airport on Long Island east of New York City; 35th President of the United States; established the Peace Corps; assassinated in Dallas (1917 1963)
- keratitis noun inflammation of the cornea causing watery painful eyes and blurred vision
- keratitis sicca.
- keratoconjunctivitis noun inflammation of the cornea and conjunctiva
- keratoconus noun abnormal cone shaped protrusion of the cornea of the eye; can be treated by epikeratophakia
- keratosis noun a skin condition marked by an overgrowth of layers of horny skin
- ketamine noun a general anesthetic and tranquilizer (not a barbiturate) that is administered intravenously or intramuscularly; used mainly by veterinarians or for minor surgery with geriatric or pediatric patients; taken in large doses it causes hallucinations similar to those associated with the use of PCP
- ketoacidosis noun acidosis with an accumulation of ketone bodies; occurs primarily in diabetes mellitus
- ketoprofen noun nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drug (trade names Orudis or Orudis KT or Oruvail)
- ketosis noun an abnormal increase of ketone bodies in the blood as in diabetes mellitus
- key adj. serving as an essential component; effective; producing a desired effect; noun metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated; a lever that actuates a mechanism when depressed; pitch of the voice; something crucial for explaining; a generic term for any device whose possession entitles the holder to a means of access; a list of words or phrases that explain symbols or abbreviations; a list of answers to a test; any of 24 major or minor diatonic scales that provide the tonal framework for a piece of music; (basketball) a space (including the foul line) in front of the basket at each end of a basketball court; usually painted a different color from the rest of the court; a coral reef off the southern coast of Florida; United States lawyer and poet who wrote a poem after witnessing the British attack on Baltimore during the War of 1812; the poem was later set to music and entitled `The Star Spangled Banner' (1779 1843); a kilogram of a narcotic drug; the central building block at the top of an arch or vault; mechanical device used to wind another device that is driven by a spring (as a clock); a winged often one seed indehiscent fruit as of the ash or elm or maple; verb harmonize with or adjust to; regulate the musical pitch of; vandalize a car by scratching the sides with a key; provide with a key; identify as in botany or biology, for example
- kidney noun either of two bean shaped excretory organs that filter wastes (especially urea) from the blood and excrete them and water in urine
- kidney disease noun a disease affecting the kidneys
- kiecolt glaser.
- kimmelstiel wilson.
- kinase noun an enzyme that catalyzes the conversion of a proenzyme to an active enzyme
- kindling noun material for starting a fire; the act of setting something on fire
- kinetic adj. characterized by motion; relating to the motion of material bodies and the forces associated therewith; supplying motive force
- king noun (chess) the weakest but the most important piece; one of the four playing cards in a deck bearing the picture of a king; a checker that has been moved to the opponent's first row where it is promoted to a piece that is free to move either forward or backward; a male sovereign; ruler of a kingdom; a competitor who holds a preeminent position; United States charismatic civil rights leader and Baptist minister who campaigned against the segregation of Blacks (1929 1968); United States guitar player and singer of the blues (born in 1925); United States woman tennis player (born in 1943); preeminence in a particular category or group or field; a very wealthy or powerful businessman
- kingdom noun a basic group of natural objects; the highest taxonomic group into which organisms are grouped; one of five biological categories: Monera or Protoctista or Plantae or Fungi or Animalia; a monarchy with a king or queen as head of state; the domain ruled by a king or queen; a country with a king as head of state; a domain in which something is dominant
- kit noun young of any of various fur bearing animals; gear consisting of a set of articles or tools for a specified purpose; a case for containing a set of articles; verb supply with a set of articles or tools
- klebsiella noun a genus of nonmotile rod shaped Gram negative enterobacteria; some cause respiratory and other infections
- klinefelter noun United States physician who first described the XXY syndrome (born in 1912)
- knee noun the part of a trouser leg that provides the cloth covering for the knee; hinge joint in the human leg connecting the tibia and fibula with the femur and protected in front by the patella; joint between the femur and tibia in a quadruped; corresponds to the human knee
- knock noun the act of hitting vigorously; negative criticism; a bad experience; the sound of knocking (as on a door or in an engine or bearing); a vigorous blow; verb find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws; deliver a sharp blow or push :"He knocked the glass clear across the room"; rap with the knuckles; knock against with force or violence; sound like a car engine that is firing too early; make light, repeated taps on a surface
- knowledge noun the psychological result of perception and learning and reasoning
- knox noun Scottish theologian who founded Presbyterianism in Scotland and wrote a history of the Reformation in Scotland (1514 1572)
- koestler noun British writer (born in Hungary) who wrote a novel exposing the Stalinist purges during the 1930s (1905 1983)
- korzybski noun United States semanticist (born in Poland) (1879 1950)
- kr noun a communist organization formed in Cambodia in 1970; became a terrorist organization in 1975 when it captured Phnom Penh and created a government that killed an estimated three million people; was defeated by Vietnamese troops but remained active until 1999; a colorless element that is one of the six inert gasses; occurs in trace amounts in air
- kubler ross.
- kuhn noun Austrian chemist who did research on carotenoids and vitamins (1900 1967)
- kw noun a unit of power equal to 1000 watts
- kyphosis noun an abnormal backward curve to the vertebral column
Glossaries, dictionaries and lists in WikiMD
Lists & Glossaries