- 1 Information about Gemifloxacin
- 2 Liver safety of Gemifloxacin
- 3 Mechanism of action of Gemifloxacin
- 4 FDA approval information for Gemifloxacin
- 5 Dosage and administration for Gemifloxacin
- 6 Side effects of Gemifloxacin
- 7 List of flouroquinolones
- 8 Cost and Coupons - Gemifloxacin
- 9 Reviews for Gemifloxacin
- 10 Articles on Gemifloxacin
- 11 Learn more about Gemifloxacin
- 12 Help WikiMD
Information about Gemifloxacin
Gemifloxacin is a fourth generation, oral fluoroquinolone antibiotic used in the therapy of mild-to-moderate respiratory tract infections caused by susceptible organisms.
Liver safety of Gemifloxacin
Gemifloxacin has been linked to rare instances of acute liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Gemifloxacin
Gemifloxacin is an oral, fourth generation fluoroquinolone that is used to treat mild-to-moderate respiratory tract infections. Like other fluoroquinolones, gemifloxacin is active against a wide range of aerobic gram-positive and gram-negative organisms and is believed to act by inhibition of type II DNA topoisomerases (gyrases) that are required for synthesis of bacterial mRNAs (transcription) and DNA replication.
FDA approval information for Gemifloxacin
Gemifloxacin was approved for use in the United States in 2003 and has not been as commonly used as other fluoroquinolones such as ciprofloxacin and levofloxacin. Current indications are limited to acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis and community acquired pneumonia.
Dosage and administration for Gemifloxacin
Gemifloxacin is available under the commercial name Factive in 320 mg tablets. The recommended dose is 320 mg once daily for 5 to 7 days.
Side effects of Gemifloxacin
- Common side effects include diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain, headaches, skin rash and allergic reactions.
- The less common but more severe side effects of the fluoroquinolones include prolongation of the QT interval, seizures, hallucinations, tendon rupture, angioedema and photosensitivity.
List of flouroquinolones
Cost and Coupons - Gemifloxacin
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Gemifloxacin
- Find the lowest cost of Gemifloxacin
- Search for Coupons for Gemifloxacin
Reviews for Gemifloxacin
Articles on Gemifloxacin
Learn more about Gemifloxacin
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.