- 1 Information about Isocarboxazid
- 2 Liver safety of Isocarboxazid
- 3 Mechanism of action of Isocarboxazid
- 4 FDA approval information for Isocarboxazid
- 5 Dosage and administration for Isocarboxazid
- 6 Side effects of Isocarboxazid
- 7 Cost and Coupons - Isocarboxazid
- 8 Reviews for Isocarboxazid
- 9 Articles on Isocarboxazid
- 10 Learn more about Isocarboxazid
- 11 Help WikiMD
Information about Isocarboxazid
Isocarboxazid is a monamine oxidase inhibitor (MAO inhibitor) used in therapy of severe depression.
Liver safety of Isocarboxazid
Isocarboxazid therapy is associated with rare instances of clinically apparent acute liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Isocarboxazid
Isocarboxazid (eye" soe kar box' a zid) is a hydrazine antidepressant that acts through inhibition of monamine oxidase, an enzyme that inactivates several neurotransmitter amines such as norepinephrine and serotonin. By inhibition of catabolism of serotonin and norepinephrine, isocarboxazid increases brain levels of these neurotransmitters which probably underlie its antidepressant effects.
FDA approval information for Isocarboxazid
Isocarboxazid was approved for use as therapy of depression in the United States in 1959, but it is now rarely used because of the availability of more potent and better tolerated antidepressants such as the tricyclic antidepressants and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Dosage and administration for Isocarboxazid
Isocarboxazid is available in generic forms and under the brand name of Marplan as tablets of 10 mg. The usual initial adult dose of isocarboxazid is 10 mg twice daily, with increase in the dose based upon efficacy and tolerance to a maximum of 60 mg per day.
Side effects of Isocarboxazid
Common side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, headache, insomnia, tremor, dry mouth, nausea, increased appetite, weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Isocarboxazid interacts with many medications as well as many foods and beverages, and patients require careful monitoring and education.
The following antidepressant subclasses and drug records are discussed individually:
Cost and Coupons - Isocarboxazid
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Isocarboxazid
- Find the lowest cost of Isocarboxazid
- Search for Coupons for Isocarboxazid
Reviews for Isocarboxazid
Articles on Isocarboxazid
- UpToDate on Isocarboxazid
- NIH NLH drug info on Isocarboxazid
- Read Wikipedia's article on Isocarboxazid
Learn more about Isocarboxazid
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.