URGENT:COVID prophylaxis | Vitamin D | Latest research | NIH | CDC | Worldometer
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat adequate-protein low-carbohydrate diet. A ketogenic diet is a popular lifestyle for many dieters trying to lose weight or to live a low carbohydrate load diet. A diet high in fat and low in carbohydrates (sugars) that causes the body to break down fat into molecules called ketones which can be tested with urine ketostix or blood [ketone test]. Ketones circulate in the blood and become the main source of energy for many cells in the body so that you are using your fat stores for energy needed for both resting metabolic rate and physical activity.
Keto diet - Net carbs of under 30
In ketogenic diet, you limit your net carbohydrates (net carbohydrates is calculated by total carbohydrates minus fiber) to about 20-30 net carbs per day. IN contrast, most people on a regular diet consume about 300 grams of carbohydrates a day.
- On a ketogenic diet, about 75% of the food should be healthy Fats and non-starchy vegetables such as leafy greens, such as spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, bok choy, green beans, zucchini, bell peppers, and white mushrooms to name a few.
- Healthy fats such as flaxseed oil, MCT oil, coconut oil, olives, olive oil, organ meats, tallow, omega–3 rich egg yolks, nut butter, avocado oil, almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts etc.
- Animal fats such as fish (salmon, halibut and mackerel), organ meats (liver, bone marrow, tongue, bacon), lamb, shellfish (crab, lobster, shrimp), ghee.
- Nuts and seeds such sugar-free nut butter and seed butter (except peanut butter), pecans, pine nuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseed, brazil nuts. Limit or avoid cashews due to their higher starch content and glycemic index.
- Other foods such as 100% dark organic cocoa powder or chocolate, spirulina, almond flour, mineral water, tea or coffee (no added sugar), unsweetened nut milk (almond milk, hemp milk, coconut milk)
20% of the diet is proteins
- Animal protein such as grass-fed meat as they are higher in omega–3 essential fatty acids, chicken, turkey, wild game, duck, pork
- Bone broth
- Collagen supplements and gelatin powdered supplements
- Full fat dairy products such as organic sour cream, cottage cheese, cream cheese (with no added sugars), heavy cream
5% of the diet is carbohydrates
- Small amounts of berries such as raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, straw berries
- Legumes such as green peas and lima beans tofu, and black soybeans. Avoid starchy beans such as black beans or brown beans
Example of a ketogenic meal plan
- Breakfast: egg with turkey or regular bacon 28 g egg, 11 g bacon, 37 g of 36% heavy whipping cream, 23 g butter and 9 g apple.
- Morning Snack: peanut butter ball 6 g peanut butter and 9 g butter.
- Lunch: tuna salad 28 g tuna fish, 30 g mayonnaise, 10 g celery, 36 g of 36% heavy whipping cream and 15 g lettuce.
- Afternoon Snack: keto yogurt 18 g of 36% heavy whipping cream, 17 g sour cream, 4 g strawberries and artificial sweetener.
- Dinner: cheeseburger (no bun) 22 g minced beef (beef), 10 g American cheese, 26 g butter, 38 g cream, 10 g lettuce and 11 g green beans.
- Late night Snack: keto custard 25 g of 36% heavy whipping cream, 9 g egg and pure vanilla flavoring.
List of ketogenic / keto friendly foods
Since any ketogenic diet is high in healthy fats and oils, it is important to focus on the healthier fats and oils such as polyunsaturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fatty acids, and limit the unhealthy trans fatty acids. Learn more on the Keto diet
How to start a keto diet?
Foods to avoid on keto diet
You probably know to limit high-carb foods like cake, candy, and sugar-sweetened beverages. But when following a low-carb diet it's also best to avoid eating these items:
- Grains typically found in bread, pasta, and cereal.
- Certain fruits such as bananas, mangos, and pears.
- Starchy vegetables like corn, potatoes, and peas.
- Dairy products including milk, even if it is reduced fat or skim milk.
- Legumes such as beans and lentils.
Avoid All forms of bread (Loaf, Muffins, Rolls, Buns, Wraps, Pita, Burito, Bagels, Pretzels, Sandwiches) Avoid all kinds of sweets (Candy, desserts, honey, cake, chocolate, sugar, syrup, ice cream, pastry, cookies) Avoid fast food (Most Chinese food, Tacos, Noodles, French fries, Burgers, Pizza, Hot Dogs, Spaghetti etc.) Avoid Rice, soda, milk, juice, most forms of alcohol
Keto friendly recipes
- Keto recipes from W8MD weight loss
- Grilled chicken
- Keto breakfast recipes
- Keto dinner recipes
- Keto lunch recipes
- Keto snack options
Testing for ketosis
On a ketogenic diet,you can monitor if you are in ketosis by using ketone test strips in the urine. he test measures ketone levels in your urine. Normally, your body burns glucose (sugar) for energy. If your cells don't get enough glucose, your body burns fat for energy instead. You can purchase these ketone test strips via or other retailers for about 10-15 USD with 50-150 test strips.
- Keto diet food list
- Diet doctor keto diet food list
- Ultimate keto food list
- Keto foods
- List of low carbohydrate vegetables(Wikipedia)