Mania is a mental disorder characterized by extreme excitement, happiness, overactivity, and agitation; usually refers to the high of the highs and lows experienced in manic- depressive disorder.
Types of manias
- Aboulomania – indecisiveness (aboulo- (Greek) meaning irresolution or indecision)
- Andromania – human sexual behaviour and desire towards males in females (andro- (Greek) meaning man, men, male or masculine) Can be replaced by hypersexuality, nymphomania, cytheromania or hysteromania.
- Anglomania – England and a passion or obsession with the English (i.e. anglophile) See also anglophobia.
- Anthomania – flowers (antho- (Greek) meaning flower)
- Arithmomania, arithomania – numbers and counting (arithmo- (Greek) meaning number)
- Bibliomania – books and reading (biblio- (Greek) meaning books)
- Choreomania, choromania – dancing (choreo- (Greek) meaning dance)
- Demonomania – one's own demonic possession (delusional conviction)
- Decalcomania – decal (decorative technique of transferring specially prepared paper prints to ceramic surfaces i.e. glass, porcelain, etc.)
- Dermatillomania – picking at the skin
- Dipsomania – alcohol (dipso- (Greek) meaning thirst)
- Drapetomania – running away from home (pseudoscience)
- Dromomania – traveling
- Egomania – oneself and self-worship (ego- (Latin) meaning I, first person and singular pronoun)
- Ergomania, ergasiomania – work (ergasio- or ergo- (Greek) meaning work)
- Erotomania – sexual desire or sexual attraction from strangers (delusional conviction) (eroto- (Greek) meaning sexual passion or desire)
- Etheromania – ether (ethero- (Greek > Latin) meaning upper air or sky)
- Epomania – craze for writing epics
- Eleutheromania – an intense and irresistible desire for freedom
- Graphomania – writing (grapho- (Greek) meaning to write)
- Hippomania – A passion and obsession with horses as well as a madness in horses or passion or obsession with hippopotamuses (hippo- (Greek) meaning horse) See also hippophobia.
- Hypermania – severe mania—mental state with high intensity disorientation and often violent behavior, symptomatic of bipolar disorder (hyper- (Greek) meaning abnormal excess)
- Hypomania – mild mania—mental state with persistent and pervasive elevated or irritable mood, symptomatic of bipolar disorder (hypo- (Greek) meaning deficient)
- Logomania – being wordy and talkative i.e. loquacity
- Lisztomania – an obsession with Franz Liszt
- Ludomania – gambling
- Mania – severely elevated mood
- Megalomania – wealth and power
- Metromania – writing verse
- Micromania – self-deprecation
- Monomania – a single object, type of object, or concept
- Morsusmania – excessive or unbridled enthusiasm for biting
- Mythomania – lying
- Necromania – being sexual with dead bodies (necrophilia)
- Nymphomania – an obsolete term for female hypersexuality
- Plutomania – money or wealth (ploutos- (Greek) meaning wealth)
- Pottermania – Harry Potter
- Pteridomania – ferns
- Pyromania – fire or starting fires
- Rhinotillexomania – nose picking (rhino- (Greek) meaning nose and tillexis- meaning to pluck, tear, pull or pick at)
- Satyromania – excessive, often uncontrollable sexual desire in and behavior by a man (satyr- (Greek > Latin) meaning a woodland deity, part man and part goat; riotous merriment and lechery)
- Theomania – one's own divinity or one's divine mission
- Toxicomania – poisons
- Trichotillomania – hair removal
- Typomania – printing one’s works
- Xenomania – foreign things
- Beatlemania – the Beatles (an obsession with the Beatles)
- Tulipomania – a metaphor for an economic bubble
- Fennomania and Svecomania – political groups in the Grand Duchy of Finland
- Trudeaumania – the Canadian politician Pierre Trudeau
- TrackMania – an arcade game
- WrestleMania – the annual flagship pay-per-view event of WWE
- Tazmania – an early 1990s cartoon show, featuring Looney Tunes character Taz (The Tasmanian Devil).
- Decalcomania – transferring pictures, an artistic technique
Articles on Mania
See other topics, articles and terms related to Mania on WikiMD.
|A-Z health topics | Popular health topics|
|Portals | Portal:Medicine|
|Glossaries and dictionaries | Comprehensive dictionary of medicine|
WikiMD Resources for Mania
Evidence Based Medicine
Books and news
Patient Resources / Community
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa
- "Dictionary.com Entry". - hippomania (n) - a passion for horses Etymology: Greek hippos 'horse' .
- "In both cases, the horses’ extreme aggression and their subsequent anthropophagic behaviour were attributed to their madness (hippomania) induced by the custom of feeding them with flesh." -- Yiannis G. Papakostas, Michael D. Daras, Ioannis A. Liappas and Manolis Markianos, "Horse madness (hippomania) and hippophobia".  16(4) History of Psychiatry 467-471.
- Lianne Hart, Hart, Lianne (8 August 2003). "Hippo mania in Texas / Mayor turning town into theme park for big beast". The San Francisco Chronicle. SFGate (California, United States), 8 August 2003.