- 1 What is metabolic starvation?
- 2 Why does one go in to starvation when they are obese?
- 3 Storage of fat stimulated by insulin
- 4 How does insulin resistance lead to metabolic starvation?
- 5 How does high insulin levels lead to starvation?
- 6 What’s causing your weight gain?
- 7 Could insulin resistance explain your weight gain?
- 8 What really causes your weight gain?
- 9 STOP Blaming The Victim For Obesity
- 10 Is low vitamin D due to unhealthy belly fat?
- 11 World's largest food, health, weight loss, wellnesspedia and encyclopedia
- 12 Need help losing weight?
- 13 Follow weight loss and wellness on social media
What is metabolic starvation?
This is a state of internal body starvation that happens in the obese due to high amounts of insulin as a result of the very common insulin resistance that affects up to 71 percent of the population. In fact, misunderstanding of this internal starvation has lead to our popular culture of blame the victim attitude for obesity and weight gain.
According to Dr. Prab R. Tumpati, MD, founder of W8MD medical weight loss centers of America, this state of starvation in the obese is what leads to food cravings, over eating, and weight gain that happens in the overweight or obese.
Why does one go in to starvation when they are obese?
This paradoxical state of starvation in the obese happens due to the actions of insulin on the fatty acid metabolism. Insulin controls the storage of excess energy in the form of adipose tissue by promoting lipogenesis when there is plenty of glucose available. For example, right after having a starchy meal such as a high glycemic meal, the levels of glucose raise rapidly which in turn promotes the release of insulin.
Storage of fat stimulated by insulin
The high amounts of insulin and glucose simultaneously start the storage process of excess energy via a hormone called lipoprotein lipase (LPL). 3 - 4 hours later, after the glucose and insulin levels fall back to normal, the other hormone called hormone sensitive lipase (HPL), starting the process of using up some of the fat in between meals.
How does insulin resistance lead to metabolic starvation?
By definition, [[insulin resistance[[ means that a person is not responding this anabolic hormone called insulin that is important in both fat and glucose metabolism. This leads to compensatory increase in insulin leading to high amounts of circulating insulin.
How does high insulin levels lead to starvation?
This high levels of insulin, because insulin keeps the body in storage only mode, leads to starvation in between the meals as the people who are insulin resistance go in to this state of storage only mode.
What’s causing your weight gain?
- Up to 70 percent of the population in the United States deals with being overweight or obese
- 35 percent of all adults, according to Centers for Disease Control (CDC) are prediabetic and have significant insulin resistance while another 36 percent have some signs of insulin resistance
- Diabetes has increased by over 500 percent in the last 50 years or so and now affects 8 percent of the population.
Could insulin resistance explain your weight gain?
What really causes your weight gain?
STOP Blaming The Victim For Obesity
3 things wrong with our diet | How insulin resistance causes weight gain? | Causes of weight gain | Skin tags and insulin resistance | Sugar rush and crash | Causes of weight gain | Weight loss information
Is low vitamin D due to unhealthy belly fat?
World's largest food, health, weight loss, wellnesspedia and encyclopedia
If you are a medical professional or an expert in any field of medicine, please join us in building the world's largest weight loss and wellness encyclopedia created by experts in the field, not by the crowd. WikiMD is sponsored by W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical aesthetic centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medical Aesthetic Centers
Since its inception in 2011, W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
FANTASTIC PROGRAM. TRULY A LIFE CHANGER. D.M. LOST 100 LBS^^
^^Individual results may vary.
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical spa blogs
Support our sponsors
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medspa centers sponsors WikiMD.
W8MD's Locations for losing weight, sleeping better and looking your best
King of Prussia
Other W8MD blogs
Need help losing weight?
Weight loss services