- 1 Information about Mirtazapine
- 2 Liver safety of Mirtazapine
- 3 Mechanism of action of Mirtazapine
- 4 FDA approval information for Mirtazapine
- 5 Brand name for Mirtazapine
- 6 Dosage and administration for Mirtazapine
- 7 Side effects of Mirtazapine
- 8 Cost and Coupons - Mirtazapine
- 9 Reviews for Mirtazapine
- 10 Articles on Mirtazapine
- 11 Learn more about Mirtazapine
- 12 Help WikiMD
Information about Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine is a tetracyclic antidepressant with a somewhat unique mechanism of action.
Liver safety of Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine therapy can be associated with transient asymptomatic elevations in serum aminotransferase levels and has been linked to rare instances of clinically apparent acute liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine (mir taz' a peen) is a tetracyclic derivative with a somewhat unique antidepressant activity in comparison to the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants. Its mechanism of action is not well defined, but it is a potent antagonist of serotonin 5-HT2 and 5-HT3 receptors and appears to enhance central noradrenergic and serotonergic (5-HT1A) activity with less activity against peripheral receptors.
FDA approval information for Mirtazapine
Mirtazapine was approved for use in moderate and severe depression in the United States in 1996 and remains in wide use, with more than 5 million prescriptions being filled yearly.
Brand name for Mirtazapine
The major indication for mirtazapine therapy is major depressive disorder. Mirtazapine is available as regular and oral disintegrating tablets of 15, 30 and 45 mg in multiple generic forms and under the brand name Remeron.
Dosage and administration for Mirtazapine
The recommended dosage in adults is 15 mg once daily at bedtime, which can be increased to a maximum of 45 mg daily.
Side effects of Mirtazapine
The following are antidepressant subclasses and drugs
Cost and Coupons - Mirtazapine
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Mirtazapine
- Find the lowest cost of Mirtazapine
- Search for Coupons for Mirtazapine
Reviews for Mirtazapine
Articles on Mirtazapine
Learn more about Mirtazapine
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.