- 1 Information about Olanzapine
- 2 Liver safety of Olanzapine
- 3 Mechanism of action of Olanzapine
- 4 FDA approval information for Olanzapine
- 5 Dosage and administration for Olanzapine
- 6 Antipsychotic agents
- 7 Cost and Coupons - Olanzapine
- 8 Reviews for Olanzapine
- 9 Articles on Olanzapine
- 10 Learn more about Olanzapine
Information about Olanzapine
Olanzapine is an atypical antipsychotic that is used currently in the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar illness.
Liver safety of Olanzapine
Olanzapine is not infrequently associated with serum aminotransferase elevations during therapy and there have been rare instances of clinically apparent acute liver injury linked to its use.
Mechanism of action of Olanzapine
Olanzapine (oh lan' za peen) is a thienobenzodiazepine derivative which appears to act as a dopamine (D1-4) and serotonic (5-HT2A/2C and 5-HT6) receptor antagonist.
FDA approval information for Olanzapine
Olanzapine was approved for use in schizophrenia in the United States in 1996 and continues to be used for this indication. Olanzapine is also used in mood disturbances of bipolar I disorder and in combination with other agents for treatment of resistant depression in adults. Olanzapine is available as tablets of 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 15 and 20 mg generically and under the brand name Zyprexa; formulations for parenteral use and orally disintegrating tablets are also available, as are fixed combinations with antidepressants such as fluoxetine (Symbyax and generics). A typical dose regimen is 5 to 20 mg daily, starting with a low dose and increasing cautiously.
Dosage and administration for Olanzapine
Second Generation (Atypicals)
- Aripiprazole, Asenapine, Brexpiprazole, Cariprazine, Clozapine, Iloperidone, Lurasidone, Olanzapine, Paliperidone, Pimavanserin, Quetiapine, Risperidone, Ziprasidone
Cost and Coupons - Olanzapine
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Olanzapine
- Find the lowest cost of Olanzapine
- Search for Coupons for Olanzapine
Reviews for Olanzapine
Articles on Olanzapine
Learn more about Olanzapine
|Policies / Guidelines||Social Media|
|Patient Resources / Community|
Evidence Based Medicine
|Healthcare Provider Resources|
|External:W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa||Wellness Topics A-Z||Other resources|