Philadelphia County Obesity
Philadelphia, sometimes known colloquially as Philly, is the largest city in the U.S. state and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, and the sixth-most populous city in the United States.
- 1 Obesity in Philadelphia
- 2 Childhood obesity in Philadelphia
- 3 Racial disparities in Obesity
- 4 Cost of obesity
- 5 Causes of weight gain Philadelphia
- 6 Strategies for weight loss Philadelphia
- 7 Treatment of obesity Philadelphia
- 8 Benefits of weight loss Philadelphia
- 9 Health conditions related to obesity
- 10 W8MD weight loss programs in Philadelphia
- 11 Communities and neighborhoods in Philadelphia to lose weight
- 12 Center City
- 13 South Philadelphia
- 14 Southwest Philadelphia
- 15 West Philadelphia
- 16 Lower North Philadelphia
- 17 Upper North Philadelphia
- 18 Bridesburg-Kensington-Port Richmond
- 19 Roxborough-Manayunk
- 20 Germantown-Chestnut Hill
- 21 Olney-Oak Lane
- 22 Near Northeast Philadelphia
- 23 Far Northeast Philadelphia
- 24 W8MD weight loss center locations in greater Philadelphia
- 25 Tired of being overweight? W8MD can help
- 26 W8MD's insurance weight loss program
Obesity in Philadelphia
Philadelphia has the second-highest rate of obesity among the 10 counties containing the nation's largest cities, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 68 percent of adults — and 41 percent of children between the ages of 6 and 17 — are overweight or obese.
Childhood obesity in Philadelphia
Additionally, nearly 70% of youth in North Philadelphia, the majority of whom are black or Hispanic, are overweight or obese, which is nearly double the obesity and overweight rate for youth in the United States. Fruit and vegetable consumption is a challenge for residents, with nearly 25% of youth and 30% of adults getting only one serving or less per day. Further, approximately 25% of youth do not get sustained physical activity even once a week.
Racial disparities in Obesity
Obesity affects certain races more than others.
- Hispanics (47.0%) and non-Hispanic blacks (46.8%) had the highest age-adjusted prevalence of obesity, followed by non-Hispanic whites (37.9%) and non-Hispanic Asians (12.7%).
- The prevalence of obesity was 35.7% among young adults aged 20 to 39 years, 42.8% among middle-aged adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 41.0% among older adults aged 60 and older.
Cost of obesity
- Obesity-related conditions include heart disease, stroke, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer that are some of the leading causes of preventable, premature death.
- The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the United States was $147 billion in 2008 US dollars; the medical cost for people who have obesity was $1,429 higher than those of normal weight.
Causes of weight gain Philadelphia
- Diabetes mellitus
- Steroid treatment
- Cushing's syndrome
- Sleep apnea
- Fluid retention
Strategies for weight loss Philadelphia
There is no single or simple solution to the obesity epidemic. It’s a complex problem and there has to be a multifaceted approach.
Treatment of obesity Philadelphia
Obesity is treated using one or more of these strategies:
- a diet low in calories such as VLCD diet or LCD diet
- increased physical activity
- behavior therapy
- prescription medications
- weight loss surgery
Benefits of weight loss Philadelphia
Even modest weight loss can mean big benefits, such as 5 to 10 percent of your total body weight, is likely to produce health benefits, such as improvements in blood pressure, blood cholesterol, and blood sugars.
Excess weight may increase the risk for many health problems, including
- type 2 diabetes
- high blood pressure
- heart disease and strokes
- certain types of cancer
- sleep apnea
- fatty liver disease
- kidney disease
- pregnancy problems, such as high blood sugar during pregnancy, high blood pressure, and increased risk for cesarean delivery.
W8MD weight loss programs in Philadelphia
Since its inception in 2011, W8MD’s insurance physician w8md weight loss program has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
W8MD’s Insurance Physician Weight Loss Program is unique in many ways with a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach to weight loss addresses all the complex issues leading to weight gain, both in adults and children. The Center’s team of practitioners are among the most qualified, dedicated and hospitable professionals in the industry. Learn More…
Communities and neighborhoods in Philadelphia to lose weight
- Avenue of the Arts
- Elfreth's Alley
- French Quarter
- Logan Square
- Naval Square
- Jewelers' Row
- Market East
- Old City
- Museum District
- Penn Center
- Rittenhouse Square
- Fitler Square: north to Locust Street, south to South Street, east to 21st Street, west to the Schuylkill River.Fitler Square Improvement Association. Accessed 4 February 2009.
- Penn's Landing: encompassed by the Delaware Riverfront.
- Society Hill: north to Walnut St., south to Lombard St, east to Front Street, west to 8th St.Society Hill Civic Association. "About SHCA". Accessed 2 February 2009.
- South Street: along South Street from Front Street in the east to Seventh Street in the west.
- Washington Square West: north to Market St., south to South St., east to 7th St, west to Broad St.
- Bella Vista: North to South Street, South to Washington Avenue, West to 11th Street, East to 6th Street. Bella Vista Town Watch. "Map of Bella Vista". Accessed 2 February 2009.
- Central South Philadelphia
- Devil's Pocket: Irish neighborhood west of Grays Ferry Avenue
- Dickinson Square West - Diverse neighborhood. Washington to Mifflin, 4th to 6th. 
- East Passyunk Crossing: North to Tasker Street, South to Snyder Avenue, West to Broad Street, East to 9th Street
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt Park
- Girard Estate
- Greenwich 4th to 9th Streets, Mifflin to Snyder
- Grays Ferry: north to Gray's Ferry Ave., south to Passyunk Ave., west to the Schuylkill River, east to 24th St.
- Hawthorne: from South St. to Washington Ave., Broad St. to 11th St.South Philly Review. "The Place Where You Live: Hawthorne Archived 2007-09-27 at the Wayback Machine". Accessed 4 February 2009.
- Italian Market: along 9th St. from Fitzwater St. in the north to Wharton St. in the south.
- Little Saigon
- Lower Moyamensing
- Marconi Plaza
- Newbold: Washington Ave. to Passyunk Ave., and Broad St. to 18th St.
- Packer Park
- Passyunk Square: Washington Ave. to Tasker St., 6th St. to Broad St.
- Pennsport: locally referred to as "Two Street", Penn's Port is a predominantly Irish-American Catholic neighborhood.
- Point Breeze
- Queen Village: north to Lombard St., south to Washington Ave., east to the Delaware River, west to 6th St.Queen Village Neighbor's Association. "Life in Queen Village". Accessed 4 February 2009.
- Sports Complex
- Wilson Park
- West Passyunk
- Southwark:The limits of the district started on Cedar (South) St. and the Delaware River, and proceeded west to Passyunk Ave.; along the latter to Moyamensing Ave.; then by Keeler's Lane to Greenwich Road; then to the Delaware River, and along the several courses of the same until reaching the beginning point again.
- Graduate Hospital: north to South St. (Rittenhouse/Fitler), south to Washington Ave., east to Broad St. (Hawthorne), west to 24th St. (Gray's Ferry)
- Bartram Village
- Elmwood Park
- Mount Moriah
- Philadelphia International Airport
- Southwest Schuylkill
- Hog Island: historically the home to a major shipyard, now home to the Philadelphia International Airport
- Belmont District: defunct
- Belmont Village
- Carroll Park
- Cathedral Park
- Cedar Park
- Centennial District
- Garden Court
- Haverford North
- Mill Creek
- Overbrook Park
- Overbrook Farms
- Powelton Village
- Saunders Park
- Spruce Hill
- Squirrel Hill
- University City
- Walnut Hill
- Woodland Terrace
- Wynnefield Heights
- Cobbs Creek: East to 52nd Street, west to Cobbs Creek, north to Market Street, south to Baltimore Avenue
- Wynnefield: East to 53rd Street and Fairmount Park, West to 59th Street, North to City Avenue, south to Fairmount Park
Lower North Philadelphia
- Cecil B. Moore
- Spring Garden
- Strawberry Mansion
- Northern Liberties
Upper North Philadelphia
The Bridesburg-Kensington-Port Richmond section of Philadelphia is the area north of Center City. This area "... consists of the neighborhoods including: Bridesburg, Fishtown, Olde Richmond, Juniata Park, New Kensington, North West Kensington, Port Richmond..." and "... was once predominantly industrial.
- South Kensington
- East Kensington
- West Kensington
- Port Richmond
The Roxborough-Manyunk section of Philadelphia is an official planning district of the Philadelphia City Planning Commission.
The Germantown-Chestnut Hill section of Philadelphia is about 7–8 miles northwest from the center of the city. The neighborhood of Germantown is rich in historic sites and buildings from the colonial era, a few of which are open to the public. Its namesake also comes from the village of Chestnut Hill was part of the German Township laid out by Francis Daniel Pastorius and came to include the settlements originally known as Sommerhausen and Crefeld, as well as part of Cresheim. The area generally served as a gateway between Philadelphia and the nearby farmlands. During the American Revolutionary War era (late 18th century), the area was one of many summer vacation spots due to its higher elevation, 400–500 feet (120 to 150 m) above sea level, and cooler temperatures than the historic Center City. Chestnut Hill is still stereotypically known as one of the more affluent sections of Philadelphia.
Near Northeast Philadelphia
The Northeast is now both racially and ethnically diverse and has a large immigrant population.
- Castor Garden
- Fox Chase
- Lexington Park
- Oxford Circle
- Academy Gardens
- Crestmont Farms
- Modena Park
- Morrell Park
- Upper Holmesburg
- Winchester Park
Far Northeast Philadelphia
Far Northeast Philadelphia is an official planning section of Philadelphia that is north of the Near Northeast section of Philadelphia.
W8MD weight loss center locations in greater Philadelphia
- NE Philadelphia weight loss, sleep and medical spa at 1718 Welsh Road, 2nd Floor, Ste C Philadelphia PA, 19115
- Wayne (King Of Prussia) weight loss, sleep and medical spa at 987 Old Eagle School Road, Building K, Ste 712, Wayne PA 19087
- W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical aesthetics in New Jersey at Cherry Hill, NJ at 140 E. Evesham Road, Cherry Hill, NJ 08003.
Also see Pennsylvania weight loss
2632 E 21st Street Ste L2 Brooklyn New York 11235.
W8MD's insurance weight loss program
W8MD can help?
Dr Tumpati is a board certified physician with significant practice experience in managing sleep disorders, internal medicine, aesthetic and obesity medicine. As one of the few physicians that have the privilege of a fellowship training in Obesity Medicine, Dr Tumpati is very passionate about educating the public and physicians about how some of the nutritional concepts were misunderstood. As the founder of W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep and MedSpa centers, Dr Tumpati is the medical director for the New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania locations and commutes weekly between the locations.
Places for Philadelphia County Obesity
- W8MD’s insurance weight loss programs one of the best ways to lose weight fast in NYC, King Of Prussia, Philadelphia, New Jersey and other places.