Red Yeast Rice
Information about Red Yeast Rice
Red yeast rice is bright reddish-purple fermented rice which is used as a dietary supplement, predominantly as a cholesterol lowering agent. The reddish-purple color derives from the mold Monascus purpureus.
Liver safety of Red Yeast Rice
Red yeast rice use has been associated with very rare instances of acute, clinically apparent liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Red Yeast Rice
Red yeast rice is a traditional Chinese medicine used as an aid to digestion and revitalizing agent. More recently, red yeast rice was shown to have a cholesterol lowering effect and was marketed as a natural means of treating hyperlipidemia. However, chemical characterization of the components of red yeast rice (monascus purpureus) demonstrated the presence of several monacolins, one of which (monacolin K) is chemically identical to lovastatin, a commercially available HMG-coenzyme A inhibitor widely used in the management of hyperlipidemia. While concentrations of lovastatin in commercial preparations of red yeast rice extract are variable, some have pharmacologically active concentrations of lovastatin. Controlled trials have shown that red yeast rice extract can lower total serum and LDL cholesterol. However, these same preparations have also been linked to rare cases of myopathy and liver injury similar to what occurs with lovastatin. Red yeast rice extracts are available over-the-counter in multiple formulations and with variable concentrations of monacolins.
FDA ruling on Red Yeast Rice
The FDA has ruled that red yeast rice extracts that have more than trace amounts of monacolin K (lovastatin) cannot be sold as a dietary supplement, but some products with detectable levels of lovastatin are commercially available. The other components of red yeast rice may have independent effects of lipid levels.
- Aloe Vera, Ashwagandha, Astragalus, Bilberry, Black Cohosh, Butterbur, Cat's Claw, Cascara, Chaparral, Comfrey, Crofelemer, Echinacea, Ephedra, Fenugreek, Flavocoxid, Garcinia cambogia, Germander, Ginkgo, Ginseng, Greater Celandine, Green Tea, Hoodia, Hops, Horse Chestnut, Hyssop, Kava Kava, Kratom, Lavender, Maca, Margosa Oil, Melatonin, Milk Thistle, Noni, Passionflower, Pennyroyal Oil, Red Yeast Rice, Resveratrol, Saw Palmetto, Senna, Skullcap, Spirulina, St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Usnic Acid, Valerian, Yohimbine
Chinese and Other Asian Herbal Medicines
- Ba Jiao Lian, Bol Gol Zhee, Chi R Yun, Jin Bu Huan, Ma Huang, Sho Saiko To and Dai Saiko To, Shou Wu Pian
Multi-Ingredient Nutritional Supplements
See also Nutritional supplements
Cost and Coupons - Red Yeast Rice
- Yeast Rice| GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Red Yeast Rice
- Find the lowest cost of Red Yeast Rice
- Search for Coupons for Red Yeast Rice
Reviews for Red Yeast Rice
Articles on Red Yeast Rice
Learn more about Red Yeast Rice
- Dailymed label info on Red Yeast Rice
- Scientific articles on Red Yeast Rice
- Images for Red Yeast Rice
|Policies / Guidelines||Social Media|
|Patient Resources / Community|
Evidence Based Medicine
|Healthcare Provider Resources|
|External:W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa||Wellness Topics A-Z||Other resources|