- 1 Information about Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 2 Liver safety of Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 3 Mechanism of action of Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 4 Brand name for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 5 Dosage and administration for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 6 Cost and Coupons - Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 7 Reviews for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 8 Articles on Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 9 Learn more about Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- 10 Help WikiMD
Information about Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
The combination of sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine is used in the treatment and prophylaxis of chloroquine resistant strains of malaria and the treatment of toxoplasmosis.
Liver safety of Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
Sulfadoxine-pyrimethamine has been linked with rare cases of idiosyncratic liver injury which resembles the hepatotoxicity associated with sulfonamides.
Mechanism of action of Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
Pyrimethamine (pir" i meth' a meen) is a diamino-pyrimidine and anti-folate, similar in structure and activity to proguanil, which has potent inibitory activity against malaria parasites as well as Toxoplasma gondii. Pyrimethamine has profound antimalarial synergy with sulfonamides and has been widely used in combination with sulfadoxine (sul" fa dox' een) as prophylaxis and treatment of chloroquine-resistant malaria. In recent years, this combination has been replaced by other approaches, partially because of the frequency of hypersensitivity reactions including hepatotoxicity. However, it is still used for treatment of malaria (particularly in Africa) and for prophylaxis against chloroquine-resistant malaria in patients with contraindications to other agents.
Brand name for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
This combination is available under the brand name of Fansidar in tablets that combine 25 mg of pyrimethamine with 500 mg of sulfadoxine.
Dosage and administration for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
Pyrimethamine is also available separately as 25 mg tables in generic forms and under the commerical name Daraprim for use in therapy of toxoplasmosis in combination with a sulfonamide. Pyrimethamine should not be used alone, either for treatment of toxoplasmosis or malaria.
The following links are to individual drug records.
Cost and Coupons - Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- Find the lowest cost of Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- Search for Coupons for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
Reviews for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
Articles on Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- UpToDate on Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- NIH NLH drug info on Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- Read Wikipedia's article on Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
Learn more about Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- Dailymed label info on Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- Scientific articles on Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
- Images for Sulfadoxine-Pyrimethamine
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.