- 1 Information about Sulfasalazine
- 2 Liver safety of Sulfasalazine
- 3 Mechanism of action of Sulfasalazine
- 4 FDA approval information for Sulfasalazine
- 5 Clinical use of Sulfasalazine
- 6 Side effects of Sulfasalazine
- 7 Cost and Coupons - Sulfasalazine
- 8 Reviews for Sulfasalazine
- 9 Articles on Sulfasalazine
- 10 Learn more about Sulfasalazine
- 11 Help WikiMD
Information about Sulfasalazine
Sulfasalazine is an antiinflammatory agent used extensively in chronic, long term therapy of inflammatory bowel disease. Sulfasalazine is structurally composed of a sulfonamide (sulfapyridine) and 5-aminosalacyclic acid (5-ASA) joined by an azo bond.
Liver safety of Sulfasalazine
Sulfasalazine is a rare, but well known cause of idiosyncratic liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Sulfasalazine
Sulfasalazine is a modified sulfonamide composed of sulfapyridine that is covalently linked to 5-aminosalacyclic acid (5-ASA). Sulfasalazine is poorly absorbed, but its azo bond is broken by bacteria in the bowel lumen releasing sulfapyridine that is absorbed and 5-ASA, which reaches high levels and acts locally decreasing inflammation.
FDA approval information for Sulfasalazine
Sulfasalazine was approved for clinical use in the United States in 1950 and is still commonly used.
Clinical use of Sulfasalazine
Current indications are for treatment of active ulcerative colitis and prevention of relapses in disease, both in adults and children. Sulfasalazine is also used for juvenile or adult rheumatoid arthritis. Sulfasalazine is available in generic forms in 500 mg tablets and under the commercial name Azulfidine. Extended release forms are also available. The usual dose in adults is 3 to 4 grams daily initially, with maintenance dosage of 2 grams daily (4 divided doses).
Side effects of Sulfasalazine
Common side effects include anorexia, headache, nausea, gastrointestinal upset, fever, arthralgias and rash.
The following are sulfonamide drugs
Cost and Coupons - Sulfasalazine
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Sulfasalazine
- Find the lowest cost of Sulfasalazine
- Search for Coupons for Sulfasalazine
Reviews for Sulfasalazine
Articles on Sulfasalazine
- UpToDate on Sulfasalazine
- NIH NLH drug info on Sulfasalazine
- Read Wikipedia's article on Sulfasalazine
Learn more about Sulfasalazine
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Drugs.|