- 1 Information about Amitriptyline
- 2 Liver safety of Amitriptyline
- 3 Mechanism of action of Amitriptyline
- 4 Clinical use of Amitriptyline
- 5 Dosage and administration for Amitriptyline
- 6 Side effects of Amitriptyline
- 7 Cost and Coupons - Amitriptyline
- 8 Reviews for Amitriptyline
- 9 Articles on Amitriptyline
- 10 Learn more about Amitriptyline
Information about Amitriptyline
Amitriptyline is a tricyclic antidepressant that is widely used in the therapy of depression.
Liver safety of Amitriptyline
Amitriptyline can cause mild and transient serum enzyme elevations and is rare cause of clinically apparent acute cholestatic liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Amitriptyline
Amitriptyline (am" i trip' ti leen) is a tricyclic antidepressant which is believed to act by inhibition of serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake within synaptic clefts in the central nervous system, thus increasing brain levels of these neurotransmitters.
Clinical use of Amitriptyline
Amitriptyline is indicated for therapy of depression and was approved for this indication in the United States in 1961, and is still widely used, with more than 10 million prescriptions for amitriptyline being filled yearly. Amitriptyline is also used for anorexia and bulimia and for adjunctive treatment of neurogenic pain.
Dosage and administration for Amitriptyline
Amitriptyline is available in generic forms and under the brand name of Elavil in 10, 25, 50, 75, 100 and 150 mg tablets. The typical recommended dose for depression in adults is 75 to 100 mg daily in divided doses, increasing gradually to a maximum of 300 mg daily. Amitriptyline can also be given as a single nighttime dose of 50 to 150 mg.
Side effects of Amitriptyline
The following are antidepressant subclasses and drugs
Cost and Coupons - Amitriptyline
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Amitriptyline
- Find the lowest cost of Amitriptyline
- Search for Coupons for Amitriptyline
Reviews for Amitriptyline
Articles on Amitriptyline
Learn more about Amitriptyline
|Policies / Guidelines||Social Media|
|Patient Resources / Community|
Evidence Based Medicine
|Healthcare Provider Resources|
|External:W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & MedSpa||Wellness Topics A-Z||Other resources|