Avocado is the dull yellowish green of the meat of an avocado; noun a pear-shaped tropical fruit with green or blackish skin and rich yellowish pulp enclosing a single large seed; It is a tropical American tree bearing large pulpy green fruits.
Fun facts about Avocado
- Are you aware that an avocado is also called an alligator pear? (Some avocados have a rough, pebbly green skin like an alligator!)
- Are you aware that an avocado is either pear-shaped or egg-shaped?
- Are you aware that the skin of avocados is either dark green or black?
- Are you aware that most California avocados have a pebbled, rough skin while Florida and Mexican avocados usually have smooth skin?
- Are you aware that the flesh of avocados is pale yellow to gold in color?
- Are you aware that avocados have a delicate, sweet, nutty flavor?
- Did you know avocados have a large pit?
- Are you aware that avocados grow in tropical, warm climates?
- Are you aware that avocados grow on trees approximately 66 feet tall?
- Are you aware that avocados originated in Puebla, Mexico in 10,000 BC?
- Are you aware that the most common avocado variety is known as Hass? (This avocado variety was discovered by a postman named Randolph Hass who patented it in 1935.)
- Are you aware that that 95% of the United States avocados come from Southern California? (Florida is the next top producing state.)
- Are you aware that Mexico produces the most avocados in the world?
- Are you aware that avocados are a fruit?
- Are you aware that avocados are a climacteric fruit? (This means it matures on the tree, but ripens off the tree; similar to a banana or a pear.)
- Are you aware that avocados have a higher fat content than most fruits? (It is mostly the good fat, monounsaturated.)
- Are you aware that avocados have 35% more potassium than a banana? (Potassiumbalances the fluids in your body, is important for normal blood pressure, muscle growth and the functioning of the brain and nervous system.)
- Are you aware that the avocado is popular among vegetarians? (It is substituted for meat in sandwiches and salads because of its high fat content.)
- Are you aware that most avocados are eaten raw?
- Are you aware that avocados are the main ingredient in a Mexican dip called “guacamole”? (Avocados are mashed to prepare this dip.)
- Are you aware that in the Philippines, Brazil, Indonesia, Vietnam, and Southern India, avocados are frequently used for milkshakes?
- Are you aware that in Haiti avocados are eaten at breakfast with bread or cassava? (Cassava or yucca is similar to a potato; very popular in the tropical islands.)
- Are you aware that in Iran avocados are used as a rejuvenating facial cream?
- Are you aware that avocados are often added to sandwiches and salads as a garnish?
- Are you aware that avocados are used in a popular sushi known as a “California Roll”?
- Are you aware that you can ripen an avocado by putting it in a brown paper bag and if you add an apple it will ripen even quicker?
- Are you aware that the flesh of an avocado turns brown when exposed to air? (It is recommended to add lemon or lime juice after peeling to prevent them from turning brown.)
- Are you aware that you can grow avocados indoors? (Simply insert 3 or 4 toothpicks into the pit about one third of the way up the pit. Place in a jar with warm water. The toothpicks should sit on the jar rim allowing the bottom part of the pit to sit in the water. It should split in 4 to 6 weeks and yield roots and sprout.)
|Fiber, total dietary||6.7 g|
|Calcium, Ca||12 mg|
|Iron, Fe||0.55 mg|
|Vitamin A, IU||146 IU|
|Vitamin C, total ascorbic acid||10 mg|
|Total lipid (fat)||14.66 g|
|Carbohydrate, by difference||8.53 g|
|Sugars, total including NLEA||0.66 g|
|Sodium, Na||7 mg|
|Fatty acids, total saturated||2.126 g|
Nutritional information on Avocado
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs