Today's featured article
is a disorder of energy utilization and storage, diagnosed by a co-occurrence of 3 out of five of the following medical conditions: abdominal (central) obesity, elevated blood pressure, elevated fasting plasma glucose, high serum triglycerides, and low high-density cholesterol (HDL) levels. Metabolic syndrome increases the risk of developing cardiovascular disease
, particularly heart failure, and diabetes
Some studies have shown the prevalence in the USA to be an estimated 34% of the adult population, and the prevalence increases with age. Metabolic syndrome is also known as metabolic syndrome X, cardiometabolic syndrome, syndrome X, insulin resistance syndrome, Reaven's syndrome (named for Gerald Reaven), and CHAOS (in Australia).
Did you know...
- Up to 71% of Americans are insulin resistant leading to weight gain in the belly and upper part of the body.
- 35 percent of all Americans have metabolic syndrome or prediabetes.
- The estimated annual medical cost of obesity in the United States was $147 billion in 2008 US dollars; the medical cost for people who have obesity was $1,429 higher than those of normal weight.
- More obesity facts from the Center for Disease Control(CDC).
Amazing facts about human body
- The human body contains 30 000 billion red blood cells. The human body is estimated to have 60,000 miles of blood vessels.
- The human heart beats 30 million times a year.
- You have no sense of smell when you're sleeping.
- You burn more calories while sleeping than you do when watching television.