- 1 Causes of weight gain
- 2 What’s causing your weight gain?
- 3 Could insulin resistance explain your weight gain?
- 4 What really causes your weight gain?
- 5 STOP Blaming The Victim For Obesity
- 6 Is low vitamin D due to unhealthy belly fat?
- 7 Nutritional deficiencies that cause weight gain
- 8 Genetic factors that cause weight gain
- 9 Eating disorders that cause obesity
- 10 Sleep related factors that cause weight gain
- 11 Environmental factors for weight gain
- 12 Racial factors for weight gain
- 13 Economic status and weight gain
- 14 Stress as a factor for weight gain
- 15 Circadian sleep disturbance and weight gain
- 16 Related articles and links
- 17 World's largest food, health, weight loss, wellnesspedia and encyclopedia
- 18 Need help losing weight?
- 19 Follow weight loss and wellness on social media
Causes of weight gain
Unintentional weight gain is caused by a combination of factors some of which are under your control, and others are not.
Age as a factor for weight gain
As you age, our metabolism slows down. this may cause weight gain if you eat an excessive amount of, eat the incorrect foods, or don't get enough exercise.
This is by far the most important factor in weight gain that most people fail to understand, and therefore struggle with weight gain. Understanding the profound weight gain that happens due to the compensatory increase in insulin that happens due to insulin resistance is the basis for losing weight as this affects up to 71 percent of the entire population in the United States. As the anabolic or body building actions of the hormone insulin were not fully appreciated traditionally, most physicians failed to understand why their patients gain weight and instead simply blame the patient for their weight gain. The failed and now withdrawn food pyramid did not help as it aggravated this problem significantly.
Medications that cause weight gain
May medications, especially steroids, antidepressants, antipsychotic medications, and others may cause you to gain weight.
Before considering corticosteroids or medications to treat emotional disorder, dementia praecox, and depression, it is important to consider weight neutral alternatives when available.
Hormonal imbalances that cause weight gain
Hormone changes also can cause unintentional weight gain. this might ensue to:
- Cushing syndrome
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid, or low thyroid)
- Metabolic syndrome and polycystic ovary syndrome
- Fluid in your system such as anasarca - Bloating, or swelling owing to a buildup of fluid within the tissues will cause weight gain. this might occur with emission, heart or renal disorder, toxaemia, or bound medications.
- Quitting smoking
If you quit smoking, you may gain weight. the majority United Nations agency quit smoking gain four - ten pounds within the initial half dozen months when quitting. Some gain the maximum amount as twenty five - thirty pounds. This weight gain isn't merely owing to intake a lot of excess calories.
What’s causing your weight gain?
- Up to 70 percent of the population in the United States deals with being overweight or obese
- 35 percent of all adults, according to Centers for Disease Control (CDC) are prediabetic and have significant insulin resistance while another 36 percent have some signs of insulin resistance
- Diabetes has increased by over 500 percent in the last 50 years or so and now affects 8 percent of the population.
Could insulin resistance explain your weight gain?
What really causes your weight gain?
STOP Blaming The Victim For Obesity
3 things wrong with our diet | How insulin resistance causes weight gain? | Causes of weight gain | Skin tags and insulin resistance | Sugar rush and crash | Causes of weight gain | Weight loss information
Is low vitamin D due to unhealthy belly fat?
Low vitamin D is due to excess belly fat
Nutritional deficiencies that cause weight gain
Poor nutrition can be a cause of weight gain.
Genetic factors that cause weight gain
Genetic factors are known to cause weight gain although this is not a major factor in many.
Eating disorders that cause obesity
Eating disorders such as food addiction, food sensitivities etc. can cause your weight gain.
Sleep disorders and weight gain are bidirectionally related where sleep problems lead to weight gain and weight gain may in turn lead to sleep problems.
Environmental factors for weight gain
People might choose certain behaviors that may cause excess weight gain such as lack of physical activity. The type of community you live in, home environment, and workplace will all influence people's health selections and therefore contribute to weight gain. owing to this influence, it's necessary to form environments in these locations that make it easier to interact in physical activity and to eat a healthy diet.
There could also be places in your space that support physical activities from parks, trails, and sidewalks to recreation and fitness centers. Even malls give opportunities for fitness walking. Understanding environmental opportunities and barriers that we tend to face in our pursuit for a healthy living and weight.
Racial factors for weight gain
Certain races are more prone to weight gain compared to others such as the African Americans, Hispanics, and Native Americans who have a higher incidence of obesity compared to caucasians.
Economic status and weight gain
Unfortunately, poorer a person is, higher the chance of obesity in many countries due to the failed policies of their governments that subsidize unhealthy foods such as corn while making healthy food choices more expensive.
Stress as a factor for weight gain
Stress is a major factor for weight gain in many due to the corticosteroids that are released during stress leading weight gain.
Circadian sleep disturbance and weight gain
Shift workers and those with irregular sleep wake cycle tend to gain more weight than others.
World's largest food, health, weight loss, wellnesspedia and encyclopedia
If you are a medical professional or an expert in any field of medicine, please join us in building the world's largest weight loss and wellness encyclopedia created by experts in the field, not by the crowd. WikiMD is sponsored by W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical aesthetic centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medical Aesthetic Centers
Since its inception in 2011, W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
FANTASTIC PROGRAM. TRULY A LIFE CHANGER. D.M. LOST 100 LBS^^
^^Individual results may vary.
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical spa blogs
Support our sponsors
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medspa centers sponsors WikiMD.
W8MD's Locations for losing weight, sleeping better and looking your best
King of Prussia
Other W8MD blogs
Areas and territories that belong to the United States:
- AS American Samoa lose weight
- DC District of Columbia lose weight, which is the seat of the Federal government
- GU Guam lose weight
- MP Northern Mariana Islands lose weight, Commonwealth
- PR Puerto Rico lose weight, Commonwealth
- VI the United States Virgin Islands lose weight
Need help losing weight?
W8MD's 52 weeks of weight loss videos - w8md weight loss diet
Weight loss services