What is the source of Hoodia herbal suppment?
Hoodia is a blossoming, cactus-like plant native to the Kalahari Desert in south Africa. Its harvest is protected by conservation regulations.
- 1 Historical context of use of Hoodia
- 2 Hoodia for appetite suppression
- 3 How is Hoodia dispensed?
- 4 Does Hoodia work for appetite suppression and weight loss?
- 5 Is Hoodia safe to take?
- 6 Fake Hoodia alert
- 7 Drug interactions with Hoodia
- 8 Traditional tribes using Hoodia
- 9 Hoodia protected plant
- 10 Species of Hoodia
- 11 Species list of Hoodia
- 12 World's largest food, health, weight loss, wellnesspedia and encyclopedia
- 13 Need help losing weight?
- 14 Follow weight loss and wellness on social media
Historical context of use of Hoodia
Historically, Kalahari Bushmen ate hoodia stems to reduce their hunger and desire throughout long hunts.
Hoodia for appetite suppression
Today, the major folk use of hoodia is as an appetite suppressant for losing weight although the evidence is lacking that it actually works!
How is Hoodia dispensed?
Dried extracts of hoodia arises and roots are used to make capsules, powders, and chewable tablets. Hoodia can furthermore be used to make liquid extracts and teas. Hoodia goods often comprise other herbs or minerals, such as green tea or chromium picolinate.
Does Hoodia work for appetite suppression and weight loss?
There is no dependable technical or scientific studies that support hoodia’s use for appetite suppression. No studies of the herb Hoodia in humans has been published in peer reviewed literature.
Is Hoodia safe to take?
- Hoodia’s safety is unidentified.
- Its promise risks, edge consequences, and interactions with medicines and other supplements have not been investigated.
- The value of hoodia supplements varies broadly.
Fake Hoodia alert
There are reports to suggest that some goods traded as hoodia do not actually have any hoodia.
Drug interactions with Hoodia
- Interactions to watch for throughout Anesthesia etc. for Hoodia
- Changes in sugar levels in the blood; possible arrhythmia
Traditional tribes using Hoodia
Hoodia protected plant
Species of Hoodia
Hoodia is currently listed in Appendix II to the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES).
Species list of Hoodia
- Hoodia alstonii
- Hoodia cactus
- Hoodia currorii (syn. H. lugardii, H. macrantha)
- Hoodia mossamedensis
- Hoodia officinalis (syn. H. delaetiana)
- Hoodia parviflora
- Hoodia pedicellata
- Hoodia dregei
- Hoodia flava
- Hoodia gordonii (syn. Stapelia gordonii, H. barklyi, H. burkei, H. longispina)
- Hoodia juttae
- Hoodia pilifera (syn. H. annulata, H. grandis, H. pillansii)
- Hoodia ruschii (Queen of the Namib)
- Hoodia triebneri (syn. H. foetida)
Also see Herbal supplements
Articles on Hoodia
|Govt. policies / Guidelines|
Media articles Hoodia
|Patient Resources / Community|
Evidence Based Medicine
|Healthcare Provider Resources|
|News on Hoodia|
Definition of Hoodia
|Flickr on Hoodia|
Books on the topic
|Facebook posts Hoodia|
Continuing medical education (CME)
|Tweets about Hoodia|
|Pintest on Hoodia||Commentary & #Hoodia|
World's largest food, health, weight loss, wellnesspedia and encyclopedia
If you are a medical professional or an expert in any field of medicine, please join us in building the world's largest weight loss and wellness encyclopedia created by experts in the field, not by the crowd. WikiMD is sponsored by W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical aesthetic centers
W8MD Weight Loss, Sleep & Medical Aesthetic Centers
Since its inception in 2011, W8MD’s insurance physician weight loss program has successfully helped thousands of patients succeed in not only losing weight but also keep it off with an ongoing maintenance plan.
FANTASTIC PROGRAM. TRULY A LIFE CHANGER. D.M. LOST 100 LBS^^
^^Individual results may vary.
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medical spa blogs
Support our sponsors
W8MD weight loss, sleep and medspa centers sponsors WikiMD.
W8MD's Locations for losing weight, sleeping better and looking your best
King of Prussia
Other W8MD blogs
Need help losing weight?
W8MD's 52 weeks of weight loss videos - w8md weight loss diet
Weight loss services