Wellness refers to the idea of being healthy, not just absencse of disease. Health, as defined by the World Health Organization (WHO), is "a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. The concept of wellness focuses ono by prevention, in many dimensions such as physical, emotional, social, environmeltal, financial, intelectual and spiritual wellbeing. The concept of wellness goes beyond the idea of absense of disease by promoting measures that are aimed at prevention, rather than cure. While some of the concepts in wellness are considered alternative medicine, there are many measures that are evidence based and should be part of any evidence based medical practice.
- Vaccines &
- Nutrition &
- Health screenings
- Mental health &
- Substance abuse
- Healthy lifestyle and
- Safe environment
External - A-Z Index of Alternative Medicine Topics
Let food be medicine, and medicine be food
Some people use complementary health approaches in an effort to promote general well-being or wellness, rather than to help manage symptoms of a health problem. For example, 2012 national survey data show that people most often use yoga and dietary supplements for wellness. Wellness has several dimensions, including emotional well-being (coping effectively with life and creating satisfying relationships) and physical well-being (recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy foods, and sleep).
Research sponsored by National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health suggests that people who use complementary approaches for wellness tend to have better overall health, higher rates of physical activity, and lower rates of obesity than those who use complementary approaches to help manage a health problem.
- Nutrition & Fitness - Learn the basics of healthy eating and how to stay physically fit.
- Diet, and Nutrition - Get advice on how good dietary habits can promote health and reduce risk for major chronic diseases such as diabetes
- Learn about how to eat healthy.
- Find easy-to-read information on food and nutrition
- Learn about Exercise & Fitness
Calories and Nutritional Information of Foods
- Encyclopedia of nutrition
- Calorie Finder - Look for high protein, high fiber, and low calorie foods!!
- Nutrition Database - Comprehensive list of foods with their nutritional values & glycemic load, organized A-Z.
- Glycemic Index of Foods - Database of Glycemic index values of foods organized A-Z.
Health benefits of losing weight
Research has shown that losing as little as 5 to 10% of your body weight can have big payoffs for your health with one study showing as much as 40% reduction in all cause mortality and morbidity with 5 pounds of weight loss in women and 48% reduction for the same weight loss in men even if you maintain the weight loss.