- 1 Information about Methazolamide
- 2 Liver safety of Methazolamide
- 3 Mechanism of action of Methazolamide
- 4 FDA approval information for Methazolamide
- 5 Side effects of Methazolamide
- 6 List of diuretics
- 7 Cost and Coupons - Methazolamide
- 8 Reviews for Methazolamide
- 9 Articles on Methazolamide
- 10 Learn more about Methazolamide
- 11 Help WikiMD
Information about Methazolamide
Methazolamide and acetazolamide are carbonic anhydrase inhibitors used as diuretics and in the therapy of glaucoma.
Liver safety of Methazolamide
Both acetazolamide and methazolamide have been linked to rare cases of clinically apparent drug induced liver disease.
Mechanism of action of Methazolamide
Methazolamide (meth" a zol' a mide) and a++cetazolamide (a seet" a zol' a mide) and are inhibitors of carbonic anhydrase, an enzyme that converts carbon dioxide and water to carbonic acid. Inhibition of this enzyme in the kidney causes an alkalization of the urine and diuresis. In the eye, inhibition of carbonic anhydrase causes a decrease in intraocular pressure making these agents valuable in the treatment of glaucoma.
FDA approval information for Methazolamide
Methazolamide was approved for use in the United States in 1959 for the treatment of glaucoma. Methazolamide is available as tablets of 25 and 50 mg in generic forms and under the trade name Neptazane. Typical doses of methazolamide in adults with glaucoma are 50 to 100 mg two to three times daily.
Side effects of Methazolamide
The common side effects of acetazolamide and methazolamide are change in taste, numbness and tingling in fingers and toes, blurred vision, tinnitus, dizziness, decrease in hearing, polyuria, nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, and headache. Methazolamide and acetazolamide have similar chemical structures and are related to the sulfonamides and can cause allergic reactions including anaphylaxis, rash, erythema multiforme, and Stevens Johnson Syndrome.
List of diuretics
Cost and Coupons - Methazolamide
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Methazolamide
- Find the lowest cost of Methazolamide
- Search for Coupons for Methazolamide
Reviews for Methazolamide
Articles on Methazolamide
- UpToDate on Methazolamide
- NIH NLH drug info on Methazolamide
- Read Wikipedia's article on Methazolamide
Learn more about Methazolamide
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Drugs.|