It is a large pulpy deep-yellow round fruit of the squash family maturing in late summer or early autumn; a coarse vine widely cultivated for its large pulpy round orange fruit with firm orange skin and numerous seeds; subspecies of Cucurbita pepo include the summer squashes and a few autumn squashes
Interesting facts about Pumpkin
Other names: White Green Red Grey Pumpkin
- Are you aware that pumpkins are a squash?
- Are you aware that it is believed pumpkins originated in North America?
- Are you aware that pumpkins were used by the Indians and early colonists as a primary food in their diet?
- Are you aware that the origin of pumpkin pie is thought to have occurred when the early settlers sliced off the top of pumpkins, removed the seeds and added milk, honey and spices and then baked it in hot ashes?
- Are you aware that years ago people believed eating pumpkins were a remedy to remove freckles and cure snake bites?
- Are you aware that most pumpkins are round in shape?
- Are you aware that pumpkins have a prickly and rigid stem?
- Are you aware that the shell of the pumpkin is smooth with ribs?
- Are you aware that most pumpkins weigh 9-18 pounds? (Although, some pumpkins can weigh over 75 pounds.)
- Are you aware that most pumpkins are orange but some are green, white, red and gray?
- Are you aware that pumpkins are grown in all the continents except Antartica?
- Are you aware that in 1981 Howard Dill grew a pumpkin weighing 500 pounds and patented his seeds and sold them around the world? (Growing large pumpkins is a popular festivity and weights reach over 1,000 pounds.)
- Are you aware that fresh pumpkins can be boiled, baked, steamed or roasted?
- Are you aware that pumpkins make great pies and soup?
- Are you aware that roasted pumpkin seeds make a great snack?
- Are you aware that pumpkins are an excellent source of vitamin A? (A ¾ cup contains 130% of your recommended daily value. Vitamin A is important for cell growth and development, for fighting off diseases and for good vision.)
- Are you aware that pumpkins are commonly carved into decorative lanterns called jack-o-lanterns to celebrate Halloween?
Nutritional information on Pumpkin
|Food Portal | Food | Nutrition | Diet | Keto | Glycemic index|
NB:Carbohydrate, by difference(total carbs-fiber) is also called net carbs