Topiramate is also utilized with other medications to control seizures in people who have epilepsy or Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (a disorder that causes seizures and developmental delays).
- 1 Topiramate and Phentermine for weight loss
- 2 Pregnancy precautions
- 3 Other side effects
- 4 Locations and availability
- 5 Brand name for Topiramate
- 6 Weight loss medications
- 7 New weight loss medications Qsymia and Belviq
- 8 Side effects of Topiramate
- 9 Weight loss success
- 10 Where is the rest of you - motivation weight loss story
- 11 More serious side effects
- 12 Liver safety of Topiramate
- 13 Mechanism of action of Topiramate
- 14 FDA approval information for Topiramate
- 15 Dosage and administration for Topiramate
- 16 Side effects of Topiramate
- 17 Cost and Coupons - Topiramate
- 18 Reviews for Topiramate
- 19 Articles on Topiramate
- 20 Learn more about Topiramate
- 21 Help WikiMD
Topiramate and Phentermine for weight loss
In combination with other weight loss pills, especially Phentermine, Topiramate has been shown to help reduce the hunger, cravings, and help lose weight. The combination of Phentermine and Topiramate was approved as the brand name new weight loss medication, Qsymia by the United States Food and Drug Administration (US FDA) in june of 2012. Approved as an adjunct to a reduced-calorie diet and increased physical activity for chronic weight management in adults with an initial body mass index (BMI) of: ≥30 kg/m2 or ≥27 kg/m2 (overweight) in the presence of at least one weight-related comorbidity such as hypertension, type 2 diabetes mellitus, or dyslipidemia, Qsymia (Phentermine and Topiramate), was associated with significant weight loss when compared with placebo.
Due to the effect of Topiramate on the neural tube of the developing fetus, Topiramate or Qsymia is contra-indicated in pregnant women or those that are actively planning to get pregnant. The FDA recommends a negative pregnancy test before the start of the medication or any medication that has this as an active ingredient and monthly there after.
Other side effects
Topiramate may also lead to osteoporosis (a status in which skeletal parts can shatter more easily) in mature persons and rickets (abnormal, curved bone growth) in children. Topiramate may also slow the development of children and may decrease the last size that children reach. converse to your doctor about the dangers of taking topiramate.
Locations and availability
While it depends on where you live, you may want to find a local weight loss physician that is familiar with the indications, contra-indications, and use of these weight loss pills in combination with other proven weight loss measures.
Brand name for Topiramate
Brand name: Topamax®
Weight loss medications
In 2012, the FDA approved two new weight loss medications Qsymia and Belviq after years of rejecting many other weight loss medications. There are other traditional and time tested weight loss medications such as Phentermine, Phendimetrazine etc.
What works and what does not for losing weight?
Side effects of Topiramate
- numbness, or tingling in the hands or feet, burning of hands
- slowed down reactions
- adversity concentrating
- talk difficulties, especially adversity conceiving of exact phrases
- memory difficulties
- lack of coordination
- hard-hitting behavior
- mood swings
- excessive action
- uncontrollable shaking of a part of the body
- uncontrollable eye movements
- farthest desire
- heaviness loss
- change in ability to flavour or taste food (altered taste)
- swelling of the tongue
- overgrowth of the gums
- dry mouth
- bigger saliva
- trouble ingesting
- teary or dry eyes
- back, sinew, or skeletal part pain
- missed menstrual time span
- excessive menstrual bleeding
- skin problems or alterations in skin hue
- hair decrease
- growth of hair in unusual places
- buzzing in the ears
- difficulty dropping or staying slumbering
- enlarging of the hands, arms, feet, ankles, or smaller legs
- difficulty urinating or agony when urinating
Weight loss success
3 things wrong with our diet | How insulin resistance causes weight gain? | [Causes of weight gain] | Skin tags and insulin resistance | Sugar rush and crash | Causes of weight gain | Weight loss information
Where is the rest of you - motivation weight loss story
More serious side effects
- distorted dream
- twice dream
- eye agony
- worsening of seizures
- slow heart rate
- pounding or irregular heartbeat
- chest pain
- problem respiring
- very quick, shallow respiring
- incompetence to reply to things around you
- unwarranted tiredness
- stomach agony
- decrease of appetite
- strong back or side agony
- bloody, cloudy, or foul-smelling urine
- unchanging need to urinate
- high temperature or chills
Topiramate is a unique antiseizure medication that is used in treatment of partial and generalized seizures.
Liver safety of Topiramate
Topiramate has been rarely associated with hepatic injury and largely when used in combination with other anticonvulsant medications.
Mechanism of action of Topiramate
Topiramate (toe pyre' a mate) is a sulfamate-substituted monosaccharide and belongs to an anticonvulsant class of its own. Topiramate is believed to act by reducing sodium channel currents and enhancing gamma aminobutyric acid (GABAA) receptor activity.
FDA approval information for Topiramate
Topiramate was approved for use in epilepsy in the United States in 1996 and it is still widely used. Its current indications are for prevention and management of partial and generalized seizures used either as monotherapy or in combination with other anticonvulsants. Topiramate is also used for migraine and for bipolar disorder.
Dosage and administration for Topiramate
The recommended starting dose in adults is 25 mg twice daily, escalating at weekly intervals to a maximum of 200 mg twice daily. Topiramate is available in 25, 100 and 200 mg tablets in multiple generic forms and under the brand name Topromax. Pediatric formulations as sprinkle capsules are available in doses of 15 and 25 mg.
Side effects of Topiramate
Cost and Coupons - Topiramate
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Topiramate
- Find the lowest cost of Topiramate
- Search for Coupons for Topiramate
Reviews for Topiramate
Articles on Topiramate
Learn more about Topiramate
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.