A semisynthetic penicillin antibiotic.
Information about Dicloxacillin
Dicloxacillin is an oral, second generation penicillin antibiotic that is used to treat bacterial infections caused by penicillinase-resistant staphylococci.
Liver safety of Dicloxacillin
Dicloxacillin has been linked to rare instances of clinically apparent, idiosyncratic liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Dicloxacillin
Dicloxacillin (dye klox' a sil' in) is a second generation penicillin that is resistant to inactivation by penicillinases and is used to treat infections caused by penicillinase-producing bacteria. Like other penicillins, dicloxacillin is a beta lactam antibiotic that is believed to act by binding to the bacterial enzyme that is responsible for synthesizing peptidoglycans which are necessary for the intregity of the bacterial cell wall.
FDA approval information for Dicloxacillin
Dicloxacillin was approved for use in the United States in 1968 and is still widely used to treat mild-to-moderate staphylococcal infections. To reduce development of drug resistant bacteria, dicloxacillin is recommended to treat or prevent only those infections that are proven or suspected to be caused by penicillinase-producing susceptible bacteria.
Dosage and administration for Dicloxacillin
Dicloxacillin is available in multiple generic forms as 250 and 500 mg capsules and as a suspension for pediatric use. The typical dose is 125 to 500 mg every 6 hours.
Side effects of Dicloxacillin
Common side effects of dicloxacillin include nausea, diarrhea, stomatitis, skin rash and allergic reactions.
- penicillins first generation (natural penicillins)
- penicillins second generation (penicillinase-resistant penicillins)
- penicillins third generation (aminopenicillins)
- see also amoxicillin-clavulanate
- penicillins fourth generation (extended-spectrum penicillins)
Cost and Coupons - Dicloxacillin
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Dicloxacillin
- Find the lowest cost of Dicloxacillin
- Search for Coupons for Dicloxacillin
Reviews for Dicloxacillin
Learn more about Dicloxacillin
- Dailymed label info
- Scientific articles
- Drug portal Dicloxacillin
- toxicity info on Dicloxacillin
- FDA Dicloxacillin