- 1 Information about Tranylcypromine
- 2 Liver safety of Tranylcypromine
- 3 Mechanism of action of Tranylcypromine
- 4 FDA approval information for Tranylcypromine
- 5 Dosage and administration for Tranylcypromine
- 6 Side effects of Tranylcypromine
- 7 Cost and Coupons - Tranylcypromine
- 8 Reviews for Tranylcypromine
- 9 Articles on Tranylcypromine
- 10 Learn more about Tranylcypromine
- 11 Help WikiMD
Information about Tranylcypromine
Tranylcypromine is a nonhydrazine monamine oxidase inhibitor (MAO inhibitor) used in therapy of severe depression.
Liver safety of Tranylcypromine
Tranylcypromine therapy is associated with rare instances of clinically apparent acute liver injury.
Mechanism of action of Tranylcypromine
Tranylcypromine (tran" il sip' roe meen) is an antidepressant that acts through inhibition of monoamine oxidase, an enzyme that inactivates several neurotransmitter amines such as norepinephrine and serotonin. By inhibition of catabolism of serotonin and norepinephrine, tranylcypromine increases brain levels of these neurotransmitters, actions which probably underlie its antidepressant effects.
FDA approval information for Tranylcypromine
Tranylcypromine was approved for use as therapy of major depression in the United States in 1961, but it is now rarely used because of the availability of more potent and better tolerated antidepressants such as the tricyclic antidepressants and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.
Dosage and administration for Tranylcypromine
Tranylcypromine is available in generic forms and under the brand name of Parnate as tablets of 10 mg. The usual adult dose of tranylcypromine is 30 to 60 mg daily in divided doses.
Side effects of Tranylcypromine
Common side effects include drowsiness, dizziness, headache, insomnia, tremor, dry mouth, nausea, increased appetite, weight gain and sexual dysfunction. Tranylcypromine interacts with many medications as well as many foods and beverages, and patients require careful monitoring and education.
The following antidepressant subclasses and drug records are discussed individually:
Cost and Coupons - Tranylcypromine
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Tranylcypromine
- Find the lowest cost of Tranylcypromine
- Search for Coupons for Tranylcypromine
Reviews for Tranylcypromine
Articles on Tranylcypromine
- UpToDate on Tranylcypromine
- NIH NLH drug info on Tranylcypromine
- Read Wikipedia's article on Tranylcypromine
Learn more about Tranylcypromine
- Dailymed label info on Tranylcypromine
- Scientific articles on Tranylcypromine
- Images for Tranylcypromine
Find something you can improve? Join WikiMD as an an editor and help improve this page or others.