What is Olaratumab?
What are the uses of this medicine?
- This medicine is used in combination with doxorubicin, for the treatment of adult patients with soft tissue sarcoma (STS) with a histologic subtype for which an anthracycline-containing regimen is appropriate and which is not amenable to curative treatment with radiotherapy or surgery.
- This indication is approved under accelerated approval.
How does this medicine work?
- Olaratumab (oh" lar at' ue mab) is a recombinant human monoclonal IgG1 antibody to the platelet-derived growth factor receptor alpha.
- Signaling through PDGF receptors promotes cell proliferation and angiogenesis.
- Inhibition of the PDGF signaling decreases formation of new blood vessels, which plays an important role in growth and spread of cancer cells.
- When used in combination with other antineoplastic agents, olaratumab has been shown to extend recurrence-free survival in several forms of advanced cancer.
Who Should Not Use this medicine ?
- This medicine have no usage limitations.
What drug interactions can this medicine cause?
- No clinically important drug interactions have been observed with LARTRUVO.
Is this medicine FDA approved?
- It was approved for use in the United States in 2016.
How should this medicine be used?
- Premedicate with diphenhydramine and dexamethasone intravenously, prior to LARTRUVO on Day 1 of cycle 1.
- The recommended dose of LARTRUVO is 15 mg/kg administered as an intravenous infusion over 60 minutes on Days 1 and 8 of each 21-day cycle until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
- For the first 8 cycles, LARTRUVO is administered with doxorubicin.
- Inspect vial contents for particulate matter and discoloration prior to dilution.
- Discard the vial if particulate matter or discolorations are identified.
- Withdraw calculated dose and further dilute with 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP to a final volume of 250 mL for intravenous infusion.
- Do not use dextrose-containing or other solutions.
- Gently invert but do not shake.
- DO NOT FREEZE the diluted solution.
- Store the diluted solution for up to 24 hours under refrigeration at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F) and for up to an additional 8 hours at room temperature (below 25°C [77°F]).
- Storage times include the duration of infusion.
- If refrigerated, allow the diluted solution to come to room temperature prior to administration.
- Discard vial with any unused portion of LARTRUVO.
- Do not administer LARTRUVO as an intravenous push or bolus.
- Do not co-infuse with electrolytes or other medications through the same intravenous line.
- Visually inspect the diluted solution for particulate matter and discoloration prior to administration.
- If particulate matter or discolorations are identified, discard the solution.
- Administer diluted solution as an intravenous infusion over 60 minutes.
- Flush the line with 0.9% Sodium Chloride Injection, USP at end of infusion.
What are the dosage forms and brand names of this medicine?
This medicine is available in fallowing doasage form:
- As Injection: 500 mg/50 mL (10 mg/mL) or 190 mg/19 mL (10 mg/mL) clear to slightly opalescent, colorless to slightly yellow solution in a single-dose vial.
This medicine is available in fallowing brand namesː
What side effects can this medication cause?
The most common side effects and laboratory abnormalities of this medicine include:
- musculoskeletal pain
- decreased appetite
- abdominal pain
- elevated aPTT
What special precautions should I follow?
- Infusion-related reactions (IRR) occurred in 70 (14%) of 485 patients who received at least one dose of LARTRUVO. Monitor for signs and symptoms during and following infusion. Discontinue LARTRUVO for Grade 3 or 4 infusion-related reactions.
- LARTRUVO Can cause fetal harm. Advise females of potential risk to the fetus and to use effective contraception during treatment with LARTRUVO and for 3 months after the last dose.
What to do in case of emergency/overdose?
- In case of overdose, call the poison control helpline of your country. In the United States, call 1-800-222-1222.
- Overdose related information is also available online at poisonhelp.org/help.
- In the event that the victim has collapsed, had a seizure, has trouble breathing, or can't be awakened, immediately call emergency services. In the United States, call 911.
Can this medicine be used in pregnancy?
- There are no available data on LARTRUVO use in pregnant women.
Can this medicine be used in children?
- The safety and effectiveness of LARTRUVO in pediatric patients have not been established.
What are the active and inactive ingredients in this medicine?
- histidine monohydrochloride
- sodium chloride
- polysorbate 20
Who manufactures and distributes this medicine?
- Packager: Eli Lilly and Company.
What should I know about storage and disposal of this medication?
- Store vials in a refrigerator at 2°C to 8°C (36°F to 46°F) until time of use.
- Keep the vial in the outer carton to protect from light.
- DO NOT FREEZE OR SHAKE the vial.
Cost and Coupons - Olaratumab
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Olaratumab
- Find the lowest cost of Olaratumab
- Search for Coupons for Olaratumab
Reviews for Olaratumab
Learn more about Olaratumab
- Dailymed label info
- Scientific articles
- Drug portal Olaratumab
- toxicity info on Olaratumab
- FDA Olaratumab