Acalabrutinib is a medication used to treat a type of non-Hodgkin lymphoma known as mantle cell lymphoma in those had previously been treated with another therapy.
- Acalabrutinib is a drug used to treat mantle cell lymphoma in patients who have already received at least one other treatment.
- It is also being studied in the treatment of other types of cancer.
- Acalabrutinib blocks a protein called Bruton’s tyrosine kinase (BTK) , which may help keep cancer cells from growing. It is a type of tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Also called Calquence.
Information about Acalabrutinib
Liver safety of Acalabrutinib
Mechanism of action of Acalabrutinib
- Acalabrutinib (a kal" a broo' ti nib) is an orally available, small molecule inhibitor of Bruton’s tyrosine kinase (BTK), which is an essential component in the B cell receptor signaling pathway.
- Inhibition of this pathway prevents B cell activation, differentiation and proliferation.
- Deficiency of BTK is the cause of X linked (Bruton’s) agammaglobulinemia, and B cell receptor signaling through BTK has been shown to be critical for proliferation and survival of malignant B lymphocytes in mantle cell lymphoma and CLL.
- Unlike ibrutinib, another BTK inhibitor, acalabrutinib has a high degree of specificity for BTK and has little or no activity against EGFR and other tyrosine kinases.
FDA approval information for Acalabrutinib
Acalabrutinib was approved for use in the United States as therapy for refractory mantle cell lymphoma in 2017 and is under evaluation in other malignancies such as chronic lymphoid leukemia (CLL), pancreatic cancer and non-small cell lung cancer.
Dosage and administration for Acalabrutinib
Acalabrutinib is available in capsules of 100 mg under the brand name Calquence. The recommended dose is 100 mg once daily.
Side effects of Acalabrutinib
Side effects are common, but usually mild-to-moderate in severity; they include:
- peripheral edema,
- rash and
Uncommon, but potentially serious side effects include:
Cost and Coupons - Acalabrutinib
- GoodRx compare cost & coupons for Acalabrutinib
- Find the lowest cost of Acalabrutinib
- Search for Coupons for Acalabrutinib
Reviews for Acalabrutinib
Learn more about Acalabrutinib
- Dailymed label info on Acalabrutinib
- Scientific articles
- Drug portal Acalabrutinib
- toxicity info on Acalabrutinib
- FDA Acalabrutinib